Having custom work done to already developed Add-ons

xIsabel38

Add-ons may be great and all, but they don't always work perfectly with every style. I have a very graphic intensive style and so many Add-ons need some additional tweaking in order to fit my theme nicely. The issue with this is when I request the tweaks by the original developer, they aren't always able or even willing to do these tweaks.

This means I have to find another way. So my question is when requesting a second developer customize an add-on by the first developer, what is the proper procedure for this? Especially when it comes to paid Add-ons.

Is it okay to give a 3rd party developer a paid add-on so they can tweak it to fit my theme or is this not okay? If not, should I set them up with a board and the add-on files on my own server so they can tweak it live on my board? Wouldn't this be the same as if I gave them the add-on? This seems like a grey area here.

I think the best idea is basically have a development/test site with all the same add-ons and styles ect as your live site to do these things on. Only give the developer access to what is needed. It would not be advisable to hand out add-ons paid or not if the developer does not have the permission from the authors or a XenForo license.

Steve's response is correct.
You should have a publicly accessible test installation, password protected as per the license terms.

These resources cover the basics with regards to that:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/how-to-duplicate-a-live-site-to-use-as-a-test-site.2792/

http://xenforo.com/community/resour...and-the-install-directory-using-htaccess.353/

The latter can be tailored to apply to the installation root, meaning anyone who wishes to access the forum will require a user name and password.

Okay wait, new question. So when a developer comes to my test site and fixes an Add-on, for example say, the Featured Threads Add-on. How then do I apply the changes he or she made to it on my test forum to my live one?

Oh, well it hasn't actually happened yet. But I can give an example. Let's say I take your Featured Thread and have it redesigned so it says announcements instead and looks quite @Sheldon-ized.

dhe3.png

Now that is done on my replica forum, how would I then transfer the changes to the live one?

If it's that kind of modification, it's merely css/template modifying(possibly), when you export your style from your test from it will save those customizations(assuming it's not done via a template modification)

What @Russ said.

Also, if there are phrase edits then generally you can just reproduce them, or export/import the language.

Any Options changes have to be done manually as they are stored in the database.

Top Bottom