Have you ever needed to restore your sites/server from a backup?

Razasharp

Interesting thread on backups here and I wondered, have you ever needed to restore your server or sites from a back up? What sort of backup did you use and how did it go?

I have, quite a few times - luckily, I learnt my lessons early on.

When my sites started out, I used to have a reseller cpanel hosting account - and I used to take cpanel back ups. However I also made DB copies (and also had the site files backed up on my own computer). The server died and the cpanel restore didn't work!!! That was the last time I used cPanel to back up my sites.

About 10 years ago I had a RAID system fail on me. I had a backup of my database (the backup was to a home computer) that was about 2 weeks old so I lost two weeks of posts. That was embarrassing but it taught me a very valuable lesson about the importance of a good backup plan.

About 10 years ago I had a RAID system fail on me. I had a backup of my database (the backup was to a home computer) that was about 2 weeks old so I lost two weeks of posts. That was embarrassing but it taught me a very valuable lesson about the importance of a good backup plan.

I forgot to say I lost about a weeks worth of posts and members too, that was a huge pain - had to explain to people they weren't banned lol

I have also restored from a cPanel backup without any problems. But a thing I do know you can't have enough backups. I want to make sure my mysql backup is in a consistent state so I also use a script make a mysqldump everyday with mysqlhotcopy. So I have a cPanel backup to restore from, and if necessary an extra mysql backup. Better be safe then sorry.

Once when we got a 404 back when we were on vBulletin, but nothing was lost because instead of using one of our backups, our host restored KH-Flare to an earlier point in time -- pretty much the same thing Windows Restore on a computer does.

Top Bottom