Have you ever been to Texas?

Andrew

Have any of you ever visited the great state of Texas?

Fun Facts:
  • The only place in the world where they make Dr. Pepper according to the original formula is in Dublin, Texas. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
  • The state was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845.
  • The Alamo is located in San Antonio. It is where Texas defenders fell to Mexican General Santa Anna and the phrase Remember the Alamo originated. The Alamo is considered the cradle of Texas liberty and the state's most popular historic site. (And if your a real Texan you have seen the Alamo, if you haven't then ur not a Texan, if you know what I mean :)
  • In Texas, it is illegal to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
  • The name ‘Texas’ has been derived from the Hasinai Indian word ‘tejas’, which literally means friends or allies.
Long live TEXAS!! :)

Now, list some fun facts about your state!

In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

Old English laws that are still "in use" today :P

Fun Facts:
  • The only place in the world where they make Dr. Pepper according to the original formula is in Dublin, Texas. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
  • The state was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845.
  • The Alamo is located in San Antonio. It is where Texas defenders fell to Mexican General Santa Anna and the phrase Remember the Alamo originated. The Alamo is considered the cradle of Texas liberty and the state's most popular historic site. (And if your a real Texan you have seen the Alamo, if you haven't then ur not a Texan, if you know what I mean :)
  • In Texas, it is illegal to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
  • The name ‘Texas’ has been derived from the Hasinai Indian word ‘tejas’, which literally means friends or allies.
Long live TEXAS!! :)

Now, list some fun facts about your state!
Lived in San Antonio for a few years when I was in the Army. Still go back fairly often (I have a trip there tomorrow).

You forgot to comment on the greatness of the San Antonio Spurs!!!

Lived in Texas for a few years. Not really lots of fun IMO, even thought I met a girl which I had quiet a good time while we dated. :)

Lived in San Antonio for a few years when I was in the Army. Still go back fairly often (I have a trip there tomorrow).

You forgot to comment on the greatness of the San Antonio Spurs!!!

Welcome to SA jad :) weather is nice bring your flip-flops :D

I visited the HostGator office in Houston. The folks at HG were awesome, but I hated Houston.

I visited the Toyota plant in San Antonio. The folks in SA were VERY nice and polite, but it didn't feel like a place I wanted to live.

I went thru Texas one time, does that count...called it the "three states of Texas" cause going from one side to the other feels like a normal THREE states.

In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

Old English laws that are still "in use" today :p

That is very interesting!! I am 100% scottish. I'm also the first generation of Brown's in "my family" to be a legal US citizen. :)
haha ill make sure to not walk around with a bow and arrow when I visit my family land some day soon.

The only place in the world where they make Dr. Pepper according to the original formula is in Dublin, Texas. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
Dr Pepper !!!! Mmmmmmmmmmm .... :D

In the UK, we have counties, not states - mine is somewhat famous for some bloke who robbed the rich to give to the poor .. I believe his name was Robin. :)

Many times, God Bless Texas! :D

Two of my favorite things are in Austin... The Barton Creek Resort and Antone's. :) I've also visited Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and El Paso a time or two.

Hmm, fun facts about Connecticut??? Umm, err, uhh, yeah that's about it. :p

Oh, yeah, totally forgot that I drove through Texas as well. Probably another reason why I can't stand that state. lol

Took a trip to McAllen, TX to look at industrial sites back around 1991 and went across the border to sister city Reynosa, Mexico and it was like going to a third world country, all the signs in Spanish, drove around for a little while and got out while I could.

Would not try that today due to the kidnapping threat and the Mexican drug war going on.

McAllen is one of the most tropical cities in Texas, it was also one of the hottest and most humid places I have ever visited, even worse than Lee county, Florida.

The bugs splattered on my windshield while driving out of Texas were the worst I have ever witnessed, Cleveland, Texas must be the bug capital of the universe, could not wait to get out of that area of the state.

went across the border to sister city Reynosa, Mexico and it was like going to a third world country, all the signs in Spanish, drove around for a little while and got out while I could.

I am not Mexican, but I've lived there and appreciate the people that I met there. I find this a little offending, is there a need of talking like that "it was like going to a third world country", it is a third world country, but the way you're saying it sounds like if everyone is inferior to you. Which I really doubt, but I won't go into details.

I never mentioned the people, I never got out of my truck to meet any of them, I'm sure they are great, but as one who does not speak Spanish other than a few words (Shakira, loco, Senior and Amigo) I was not taking any chances being there very long without a local friend.

You must admit that today it is much worse than it was in 1991.

Did I say the people living there were inferior or are you reading your own ideas into my post ?

Many times, God Bless Texas! :D

Two of my favorite things are in Austin... The Barton Creek Resort and Antone's. :) I've also visited Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and El Paso a time or two.

Hmm, fun facts about Connecticut??? Umm, err, uhh, yeah that's about it. :p

I am back in CT in order to be near my son....will be leaving in a few years...but, it's the Nutmeg state! Has Foxwoods and Mohegan Suns. Home of WWE Wrestling.

Honestly, probably one of the things I like best about the state is that you can find some really good restaturants.

I was born a Yankee but I live in Crosby (Texas) and have a Master's from Texas Tech. I'm still working at being a Texan. :)

Jeff

Top Bottom