Have You Considered Creating A Custom WYSIWYG Editor?

James

This is mainly aimed at the developers. Have you guys considered creating your own WYSIWYG editor or is TinyMCE the editor of choice for the foreseeable future?

As with any editor they have their pros and cons, but if you guys create your own it can be integrated more into the UCP/ACP to provide much better functionality for extension.

Have you guys considered creating your own WYSIWYG editor or is TinyMCE the editor of choice for the foreseeable future?
We have considered it, but I couldn't really say anything else.

As with any editor they have their pros and cons, but if you guys create your own it can be integrated more into the UCP/ACP to provide much better functionality for extension.
I don't follow what integration you're referring to there. The editor is entirely a client-side thing, so there's very little integration that can be done.

We have considered it, but I couldn't really say anything else.

I don't follow what integration you're referring to there. The editor is entirely a client-side thing, so there's very little integration that can be done.
Is it something you've considered and disregarded, or considered and haven't really decided yet?

Integration in terms of easily adding buttons to the editor, allowing user-specific enabling/disabling of menus in the editor. When it's created from ground-up for a particular purpose then it's more likely to perform much better for that purpose.

Just to add to it, at this early stage, development is probably more worth while spent on XenForo rather than the WYSIWYG editor, not to mention, that integration as you put it, can easily be done already :)

Just to add to it, at this early stage, development is probably more worth while spent on XenForo rather than the WYSIWYG editor, not to mention, that integration as you put it, can easily be done already :)

A good editor is just as important as everything else.

I wouldn't mind seeing maybe a custom xF jquery powered editor. However, that is a whole other project that would take too much time and effort away from xenForo. I feel it would just require too much work, unless you can find an open source and adopt it.

I know it's not directly related with xenforo and rather a "editor" issue but with the current one there are BBCode issues wich really sucks. I hope a editor will be coded for xenforo only that provides more compatibility.

They should concentrate on xf. (even the new add-on system here for xf.com is IMHO taking too much time from xf core coding :/ )

I never gave a specific timeframe guys. I just asked if it's been considered and whether or not it was disregarded or on a to-do list. Of course they can't do it yet with 1.1 and the resource manager, but I'm sure once the demand for core features has gone down then they'll have a few more hours spare to work on things like a custom WYSIWYG.

The TinyMCE editor has its flaws, as do other editors. I think if it was custom-coded by you guys for XF, it'd be a better solution than using third parties.

The TinyMCE editor has its flaws, as do other editors. I think if it was custom-coded by you guys for XF, it'd be a better solution than using third parties.
I wrote the WYSIWYG editor for vBulletin 3 and its updates for 3.5, along with Mike, Scott and Freddie. We did that because at that time there was no better solution available, so we had to make our own. The same is not true now, both TinyMCE and CKEditor do a much better job (when properly integrated) than the vB 3.x editor ever could, and you will have seen that both IPB and vBulletin are now in the process of ditching their own editors.

The long and the short of it is that keeping up with the crappiness of browsers and their wildly varying WYSIWYG implementations is a highly intensive task, and one that is best suited to those who don't have the rest of the application to worry about.

I don't foresee a time where we consider that it would be economical or useful to write our own WYSIWYG editor for XenForo.

you will have seen that both IPB and vBulletin are now in the process of ditching their own editors.
Excellent point.
The long and the short of it is that keeping up with the crappiness of browsers and their wildly varying WYSIWYG implementations is a highly intensive task, and one that is best suited to those who don't have the rest of the application to worry about.
Exactly.
I don't foresee a time where we consider that it would be economical or useful to write our own WYSIWYG editor for XenForo.
Bigger Fish to fry ... that's for sure :)

Top Bottom