Have ads ruing the internet

• Yes

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 53.9%
  • Almost

Votes: 15 19.7%

• Total voters

This is why many site owners have adblocker detectors with polite messages.

The notice can explain the site provides content and appreciates the ad income which is based on views of the ad and politely asks people to therefore whitelist if they value the information on the site.

I did a poll on my site about this:

Google ChromeScreenshot067.webp
[/user]

Last edited:

The notice can explain the site provides content and appreciates the ad income which is based on views of the ad and politely asks people to therefore whitelist if they value the information on the site.

I did a poll on my site about this:

View attachment 149530[/user]

This is why we use our ad lockers to block the polite messages. See I love it when they actually load content and try to block it. It's like remove remove remove. Read.

The smart money is on not loading content at all. But I wouldn't chance down glitch causing a site to be unusable. I hate ads and I don't run anything big enough that ad revenue would even be worth bothering.

I unashamedly use an ad-blocker. If I like a site I will white-list it myself. If it uses a ad-block detector on me I run no-script and will never white-list it.

So you telling me I can go in there, read the whole magazine, and put it back and come out?
You know my position already in this dog hunt, but in this case, yes you can go in there and read the whole magazine, put it back and pick up another and read it... for as long as they are open - or at least last time I was in a Barnes & Noble I saw people doing that exact thing.
Oh, and BTW, when you enter that Barnes & Noble you get slammed with advertising left & right - like for Starbucks, candy, magazines, books, etc. - and a lot of those businesses get "revenue" from placing those ads (either reduced product prices during the ad period or direct from a company/manufacturer so they are getting a "benefit".

but in this case, yes you can go in there and read the whole magazine, put it back and pick up another and read it... for as long as they are open
And is this allowed or not? Cause as you describe it sounds like they are ok with it.

Oh, and BTW, when you enter that Barnes & Noble you get slammed with advertising left & right - like for Starbucks, candy, magazines, books, etc. - and a lot of those businesses get "revenue" from placing those ads (either reduced product prices during the ad period or direct from a company/manufacturer so they are getting a "benefit".
Which bothers me a lot but there is no technology to block real life ads. But on the internet we have. I find the whole advertisement industry disgusting, because they almost dictate the life of people. See women for example. There is no reasonable reason to use lipstick or makeup or nail polish and all those beauty products. Not a single one. Actually they are hurting themselves by using those products, cause those products are highly chemical and are bad for the skin. But they dictate how women should look like and the masses follow them.
If you think "no, they are free, they look how they want to look", then it is wrong. Cause if you just skim the 30s 60s 90s etc and see how women looked like back then, you can see that what they thought "looks good" in that time, is now not fashionable anymore. So basically they don't know what "good looking" is, other than what the industry advertises or builds this prototype of a woman for that time period. So they think they are free but in real they follow a defined prototype so they are not excluded from the society. Nobody wants to be the misfit or outsider, which means fashion industry abuses this human behaviour by using ads.

Last edited:

Because it's hostile towards guests. Think about how many people will suddenly change their internet habits vs. will just leave and never come back. Better off making a good site and having regulars white-list you because they want to support your site.

My generation grew up with internet and we've constantly been sold to from a very young age. But I think it make us savvy and indifferent to pitches, especially SOB stories.

I use adblock everywhere and won't disable it for anyone. Exception to this are sites that have no alternative, such as Google Adsense.

Barnes and Nobles is a false analogy. Their business is selling products and their customers are buyers. The ads in the store are designed to help facilitate greater sales of products to customers.

A website uses it's content as bait. The end-user is the product, which they sell to their real customer the advertiser.

The closest model in real life is TV and Radio. Both of which I use ad-skipping technology on.

Last edited:
Ads ruined the internet because off advertisers who always want more. I think that's the reason why plugin as adblock had been created.
Usually nobody complains about coca cola using their brand on their bottles, even if there are banners with products on it in the supermarket, people couldn't care less, but the moment a salesmen jumps down from the shelf (pop up) and starts yelling at you (advertisement with sounds/video advertisement) they crossed the line and some people now are at war, that even the brand on the cola bottle becomes a dispute.

but the moment a salesmen jumps down from the shelf (pop up) and starts yelling at you (advertisement with sounds/video advertisement) they crossed the line and some people now are at war, that even the brand on the cola bottle becomes a dispute.
Well, guess you hate those new gas pumps that when you fire them up have video ads running on them during your fueling stop and refuse to use those stations, refuse to go into the stores that have the video kiosks/devices on the aisles that are advertising certain items and refuse to listen to streaming radio (Pandora free for example) or AM/FM radio and refuse to watch TV and do not read magazines/newspapers also.
Advertising is just a fact of life that one has to deal with, whether it be on the internet, in stores or on radio/TV or printed media.

Or is your issue those ****ty video ads on the sites - now those I agree cross the line. Simple text ads are really not that intrusive to me, but those video ones that never shut up are rather stupid. But I simply refuse to visit sites that use them and don't use a blocker - of course I tell the admin that their use of the video ads are why I will not be coming back.

Or is your issue those ****ty video ads on the sites - now those I agree cross the line. Simple text ads are really not that intrusive to me, but those video ones that never shut up are rather stupid.

Maybe we mean the same. With advertisement with sound I meant the likes veoh added around ~10 years ago. People watched videos and suddenly the normal text ad on the side switched to something that made chimpanzee sounds or similiar. Maybe even more familiar to everyone, Skype ads. Skype sometimes has ads which make sound and when you call someone and suddenly you hear that chimpanzee or whatever while talking to that person... I have them blocked in my hosts file (it still shows the usual hair growth, 10.000 € in 3 days and others, but not the ones with sound embedded).

Most of the things you listed aren't very common here, but you are right about tv/radio/magazines, though this is for other reasons (would you buy a book in the soviet union in ~1922? ;)).

Some good thoughts here...

I'm thinking of adding a small polite notice to users that are blocking ads on one of my forums. I use Adsense only and just a few of them , non-intrusive.

I use adblocker, but let's say for our main newspaper website, because otherwise you can't read anything. I moslty disable adblock on forums if they run just a few non-intrusive ads. If there's a forum with jumping and pop-out ads, I block them and usually never come back.

Some good thoughts here...

I'm thinking of adding a small polite notice to users that are blocking ads on one of my forums. I use Adsense only and just a few of them , non-intrusive.

I use adblocker, but let's say for our main newspaper website, because otherwise you can't read anything. I moslty disable adblock on forums if they run just a few non-intrusive ads. If there's a forum with jumping and pop-out ads, I block them and usually never come back.
I agree, if the ads are non-intrusive I don't use ADBlock. On the other hand if they are intrusive then I use ADBlock. ;)

i think they are a gift and a curse

but like all things that are meant to be good, once people start exploiting it, then it's a wrap

And it's quite upsetting, that not every webmaster put a polite warning about ads on their website. It's like - you need to make money for your site/blog/forum and you have an ad-free membership with good conditions, so I'd like to join your website. And it would be my personal decision. Easy and fair.
But if you're blocking me completely from using your website since I have an adblock - how I'm supposed to check out your wonderful content and decide whether I'm going to stay or not after all? Sorry, but your banner doesn't look attractive to me. I'm using adblock to make my internet experience better. So if you're trying to make me watch your banners - I quit.

I'm thinking of adding a small polite notice to users that are blocking ads on one of my forums.

A lot of your users who are "blocking" ads are doing so without intent. In my version of Firefox, for example, I never see adsense, and I did not do anything to Firefox to request ad blocking.

Totally agree, that's why maybe a small polite notice will be ok.

Currently I'm struggling with non-pesonalised ads because of EU-consent policy. An add-on that let users to decide what type of ads would they like to see would be great.

Top Bottom