Has anyone tried the new Xenforo 1.2 to Xenforo 1.2 importer in RC2?

Lone Wolf

I just upgraded my test site to Xenforo 1.2 RC2 and there is now an option to import from Xenforo 1.2, I did a quick search to see if anyone has started a thread on this but I couldn't find one.

Has anyone tested this and will there be an option to import from XenForo 1.1 as well?

Last edited:
I just upgraded my test site to Xenforo 1.2 RC2 and there is now an option to import from Xenforo 1.2, I did a quick search to see if anyone has started a thread on this but I couldn't find one.

Has anyone tested this and will there be an option to import from XenForo 1.1 as well?
Not sure why you can't just upgrade to 1.2 then import.

Because of database schema changes (and also model and DataWriter changes), it is highly unlikely 1.2 importer will directly work on 1.1.

Oops, that was supposed to be removed - it's not functional yet. It should be in the next release.

Thanks for listening to the users (again).

It made no sense to me for XenForo customers to buy a license for another forum software just to transfer data between to XenForo installs!

Its an importer just like the others that are in the software. It connects to a source database and translates it to XenForo (in this case just a few simple queries). These queries are just simpler than translating from say vBulletin or IPB to XenForo.

How do you import then? Just use a plain SQL dump?

It imports the data from your existing XenForo database into the new database you have setup for your new XenForo Forum. There's no need to export a file which then gets imported. It's just a straight database to database transfer.

The purpose of such a tool is often actually to allow 2 forums running the same software to merge, not so much as to allow clean imports of the same forum.

The purpose of such a tool is often actually to allow 2 forums running the same software to merge, not so much as to allow clean imports of the same forum.

Why not for both? If you have a forum which has been around for years and there are lots of outdated add-ons and add-ons which didn't uninstall correctly. Why not just import your data into a clean install and recover new software speed and reliability.

Why not for both? If you have a forum which has been around for years and there are lots of outdated add-ons and add-ons which didn't uninstall correctly. Why not just import your data into a clean install and recover new software speed and reliability.

Well not knowing their intentions its hard to say. But assuming the plugins don't modify any of the stock data fields such as an encrypted conversations plugin would. Its pretty easy to write a script to drop all tables and columns that don't exist in The stock install. Now this won't save any data you might want to keep from plugins still being used but the importer likely wouldn't either unless it was being hooked into.

I inherited responsibility for the vbulletin forum I am now converting. It has been through e107 to vb3 to vb4 and it took forever to clean up the left over files from years of additions and transitions. The database will probably never be clean until we move to Xenforo but I did my best until then. Between old plugins and 4400 PMs lost in the e107 to vB3 conversion it sure was a mess. I understand your pain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom