Has anyone tried ForumRunner?

It's also integrated into vBulletin now. Pretty smart business move...

Yeah I heard about it via an email from vBulletin. Good move by them but not for XenForo and ipb board owners. I doubt they will want to continue supporting other forum platforms.

Yeah I heard about it via an email from vBulletin. Good move by them but not for XenForo and ipb board owners. I doubt they will want to continue supporting other forum platforms.
It would be stupid not too as there are many boards that aren't vBulletin, many of which are popular and will bring them extra income from the branded style.

It would be stupid not too as there are many boards that aren't vBulletin, many of which are popular and will bring them extra income from the branded style.

I never really understood the difference between this and tapatalk. Which is better? Do people use just one or the other, or can you use both?

The home page of ForumRunner stats that the full version of costs only $1.99. When you consider a publishing suite for VB retails for $285 and the addition of mobile and Facebook apps will more than double that figure, I don't believe IB were buying this for extra income. By making it exclusive to VB, they would only need 1 out of every 293 people who were originally going to buy forum runner to buy vbulletin and break even. Also, I suspect one reason they bought it was so that other forums couldn't use it. A smart business move.

I haven't used ForumRunner but 2 bucks seem very undervalued for an app such as that. Most forum owners would happily pay at least $50 to make their forum mobile friendly.

I never really understood the difference between this and tapatalk. Which is better? Do people use just one or the other, or can you use both?

Doesn't TapaTalk require your forum owners to pay a few dollars to download the tapatalk app in order to view your site using it?

The home page of ForumRunner stats that the full version of costs only $1.99. When you consider a publishing suite for VB retails for $285 and the addition of mobile and Facebook apps will more than double that figure, I don't believe IB were buying this for extra income. By making it exclusive to VB, they would only need 1 out of every 293 people who were originally going to buy forum runner to buy vbulletin and break even. Also, I suspect one reason they bought it was so that other forums couldn't use it. A smart business move.

I haven't used ForumRunner but 2 bucks seem very undervalued for an app such as that. Most forum owners would happily pay at least $50 to make their forum mobile friendly.

So it was likely a nice "vertical integration" move by them to control the complete channel from software provider to forum owner to end consumer member.

Doesn't TapaTalk require your forum owners to pay a few dollars to download the tapatalk app in order to view your site using it?
They are both commercial software but if you are asking if TapaTalk requires you to pay for a test/trial run of the app on your site then I believe the answer is no. At least that is what I remember from when I used it oh so many moons ago.

If I had shares with IB, I would be pleased with this acquisition as it seems like a good product. Perhaps they will keep it available to other forum platforms though the way they are integrating it directly into VB suggests they have other plans.

I don't think it would be complete suicide as at the very least they have control over a service that other forums were using. Though if it's going to be integrated into VB, will they still be able to sell their mobile app (which is $199).

I'm talking about the branded service they offer, where you get your own version branded for your forum.

i dont think they will make forumrunner vb-only.
i think its real value is the data it makes available to iB. they would be foolish to cut off a free data mine of their competitors forums, and iB is far too predatory to do something like that.

Top Bottom