Has anyone been to court before :(

MichaelDance

A client has been found to have copyright files on his account (well a page stating he offered services)

Well the big company opened a ticket with us and I asked for a letter then for us to terminate him I wanted to make sure it was them, I asked him to send me a email with a company email.

He did, I terminated the account, made them a domain reseller, moved domain to them.

They are now taking me to court for not being a registered UK company and for hosting it, this case goes to court on the 24th of this month.

I'm 20 and affraid. To be fined:

The total fine, for warrant is, £21,095.

Federal Bureau of Investigation, will claim this off you in court.

We hope you will pay this, if not, the fines will go higher at rates of up-to £7,000 a day.

Thank-you for the support, and damage fee's.

You are also not registered in UK, which is illegal. That has also been reported to the court, in London. That also may result in higher fines and cease any services you may hold. Also may include debt-collection, to recover your debt of £31,000.

Any help :(

I would need a lot more details to tell you what I think about the merits. That said, this smacks of a BS attempt to force a settlement or get a cash grab without actually litigating the case.

If my instincts are correct, this is a well known tactic by unsavory lawyers who have no intention of actually taking the case to court. In the US, several attorneys have been sanctioned for these tactics.

I can't say for sure this is the case or that you are safe. But, my BS detector went to full alert reading what you stated in your post.

EDIT: Especially making my BS detector go off is the reference to the FBI in a UK case. This is not an impossible occurrence, but not one that I think most reputable attorneys would include in a UK case.

SSL Encryption > E-mail sent from: resultreport@******.com > cubicwebs[at]gmail.com.

Suspension is no good, on the client. Terminate this account, right away. (This is our material), If you do not wish to do this, I will be taking this to the courts, to deal with.

Forward me any details of your-self, and I'm going to include this to a solicitors, and court-agency.

I have sent out a letter, and I wish this to be sent back to us straight away, up-on delivery.

----------------------------------
15/09/2012 07:29
Hello ******,

I've terminated the services with us and would you like me to suspend the domain?

--

Michael Dance
Chief Executive Officer
CubicWebs.
----------------------------
Dear CubicWebs,
I am going to forward your company details to a court-agency to take further action on this as your refusing to follow our results-required.
As you are refusing to suspend the domain, on our behalf. This is not stopping.
We will see you in court, and solicitors will be informed of your address and there contact details as we speak.
Thank-you for the e-mail back.
---
Warmest Regard's,
****** CO
Markus *******
Chief Technology Officer

SSL Encryption > E-mail sent from: resultreport@******.com > cubicwebs[at]gmail.com.

Suspension is no good, on the client. Terminate this account, right away. (This is our material), If you do not wish to do this, I will be taking this to the courts, to deal with.

Forward me any details of your-self, and I'm going to include this to a solicitors, and court-agency.

I have sent out a letter, and I wish this to be sent back to us straight away, up-on delivery.

----------------------------------
15/09/2012 07:29
Hello Halttunen,

I've terminated the services with us and would you like me to suspend the domain?

--

Michael Dance
Chief Executive Officer
CubicWebs.
----------------------------
Dear CubicWebs,
I am going to forward your company details to a court-agency to take further action on this as your refusing to follow our results-required.
As you are refusing to suspend the domain, on our behalf. This is not stopping.
We will see you in court, and solicitors will be informed of your address and there contact details as we speak.
Thank-you for the e-mail back.
---
Warmest Regard's,
****** CO
Markus *******
Chief Technology Officer

Laughable. I can't promise you have nothing to worry about, or that there are not any specific claims that might be asserted. But, this stinks of scam to me.

Well the company is massive and I did what they asked, now I'm scared as it me vs a big company in a place i've never been before at a life or death situation.

And:
London Government cease@london.gov.uk
05:47 (1 hour ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Michael Dance,

We have been forwarded your details, by a Finland Company on behalf of *******.

We have sent out a letter to confirm some details for court, we will also state them in here for you as-well.

Date you must attend: Monday 24th September 2012
Time: 09:00AM - 13:00PM
Room: **B F*/B
In Attendance of Mr Michael James Dance

At Address,

29 Arrow Crescent
Alcester
Warwickshire
B49 6BE
GB

Mayor Of London
Transport for London

Stinks of a hoax....first, any legal process must be made by service (and not email as a first resort). Second, the styling is not of a legal complaint. Third, the language.style of the email seems garbage. Third, the timing, coming within two weeks, seems suspect.

I am not a UK attorney, and don't offer legal advice to non-clients. However, my instinct, based on everything you have posted, is that this is complete garbage and a hoax. Have you been served by mail or in person with anything (I will fall out of my chair if you have been).

If you are really concerned, get a UK attorney. Don't trust what I say here....but I would by shocked if this is anything but a scam.

EDIT:
cease@london.gov.uk is an email address..likely easily spoofed. I don't see a "complaint" or charge...a forwarding of "details" seems insufficient to trigger any hearing on its own.

Second edit: go visit this URL: http://london.gov.uk/ ....doesn't look to official to me.

I'm detecting a scam too, the English in those letters is less than perfect. Spoofing email headers isn't difficult if you have the knowledge and infrastructure.

A client has been found to have copyright files on his account (well a page stating he offered services)
Well the big company opened a ticket with us and I asked for a letter then for us to terminate him I wanted to make sure it was them, I asked him to send me a email with a company email.
He did, I terminated the account, made them a domain reseller, moved domain to them.

I can't understand why you made them reseller and moved domain to them.

Stinks of a hoax....first, any legal process must be made by service (and not email as a first resort). Second, the styling is not of a legal complaint. Third, the language.style of the email seems garbage. Third, the timing, coming within two weeks, seems suspect.

I am not a UK attorney, and don't offer legal advice to non-clients. However, my instinct, based on everything you have posted, is that this is complete garbage and a hoax. Have you been served by mail or in person with anything (I will fall out of my chair if you have been).

If you are really concerned, get a UK attorney. Don't trust what I say here....but I would by shocked if this is anything but a scam.

EDIT:
cease@london.gov.uk is an email address..likely easily spoofed. I don't see a "complaint" or charge...a forwarding of "details" seems insufficient to trigger any hearing on its own.

Second edit: go visit this URL: http://london.gov.uk/ ....doesn't look to official to me.

Just a email from the company to prove that it is them. I'm not sure but its got pages of the Mayor. Does anyone know where I can verify this?

I suppose the best thing to do is just contact the London office that supposedly sent you that email.

Or is it possible that someone could be impersonating this guy:

49852_527438299_8974_n.webp

Your information posted above, flushed this info out via Linkedin and Facebook.

Call that company and confirm what they are or are not doing or call the London office... -or- just get a solicitor.

Edit: he has a twitter account too.

I am dumbfounded if this is an official website. That said, I don't see how the Mayor of London has a whit to do with private disputes. I have no experience with litigating in UK courts...but the Mayor of London is a dubious "body" to adjudicate anything. Dunno what to tell you more than that this reeks of a scam.

I am dumbfounded if this is an official website. That said, I don't see how the Mayor of London has a whit to do with private disputes. I have no experience with litigating in UK courts...but the Mayor of London is a dubious "body" to adjudicate anything. Dunno what to tell you more than that this reeks of a scam.

Website is official, based on some basic fact checking and searches. Email, no idea, very easily spoofed. Checking the headers to see how it was handled would present a better clue.

Is this your address:
29 Arrow Crescent
Alcester
Warwickshire
B49 6BE
GB

Or where you are supposed to attend "court."?

This is what I get out of that address:

That's his address available on WHOIS for the business he runs. (cubicwebs.com)

The part of "We have sent out a letter" could be reflective an official mailing to the address that he's registered at.

Website is official, based on some basic fact checking and searches. Email, no idea, very easily spoofed. Checking the headers to see how it was handled would present a better clue.

That is surprising to me....it looks very amateurish....but, after looking around a bit, I could not find anything to indicate it was not official. My instinct was based on the look and feel of the site. Looks like a crap site. But, I suppose that is possible.

Nothing changes, though, about the rest of my instinct. This reeks of scam-tastic tactic.

Top Bottom