Has anyone been to court before :(

Well, then the follow question for me, one that may crack this "mystery" is that they stated, you must attend

"Date you must attend: Monday 24th September 2012
Time: 09:00AM - 13:00PM
Room: **B F*/B"

What kind of address is that? No physical street address or court? If there is none, then this is completely bogus. If there is a court specified, then it is easy enough to call them and check if there is a hearing or case docketed for that date.

Where do they suggest you go?

Yeah, the website is registered to: (since 2003)

Greater London Authority
City Hall
More London
London
SE1 2AA
United Kingdom
+44 20 7983 4333 (Phone)
+44 20 7983 4490 (FAX)

Can't say for sure without researching and being more interested in what would seem to be an obvious issue (that this is a scam)....but, Mayors tend to fall under the executive power of a State....the judiciary (Courts) would be where disputes are handled. Legislature (House of Commons/Lords...if my ignorance or UK govt is not interfering with my understanding) makes the laws (maybe Her Majesty has some ceremonial part of this....). But, it seems dead wrong that an international case (referred supposedly from Finland) would land in a city Mayor's office...when they don't adjudicate cases. Just my 2 cents and gut instincts. Plus, I hate all scammers and hope they die a painful death.

But, it seems dead wrong that an international case (referred supposedly from Finland) would land in a city Mayor's office...when they don't adjudicate cases. Just my 2 cents and gut instincts. Plus, I hate all scammers and hope they die a painful death.

I would have assumed a case like this would have wound up in the usual court system (http://www.justice.gov.uk/) -- Hopefully a few simple phone calls can expose this, I'd hate to see someone have to actual pay for legal aid and it was as scammer all along.

That's why I wondered in the post above, if someone was using this other guy's identity. Unless, he was stupid enough to use his real identity, who knows.

To the OP: Let us know what the outcome is. Hopefully, it's nothing in the end.

Regardless of being scared or not about the situation, I would be more concerned for the repercussions from your customer for suspending their site without a properly filed DMCA notice. This is clearly a scam and you could be held liable by your client for monetary loses for suspending your client without proper cause.

Regardless of being scared or not about the situation, I would be more concerned for the repercussions from your customer for suspending their site without a properly filed DMCA notice. This is clearly a scam and you could be held liable by your client for monetary loses for suspending your client without proper cause.

Seems this is a UK issue...so while I understand the idea of thinking about DCMA (a US piece of legislation), it would not seem to be implicated in this UK/EU instance. Maybe EUCD is implicated, though.

Seems this is a UK issue...so while I understand the idea of thinking about DCMA (a US piece of legislation), it would not seem to be implicated in this UK/EU instance. Maybe EUCD is implicated, though.

Ahhh, I was under the impression it was a valid source for take down in any country not considered to be "off shore hosting" like example, Swiss, or Hong Kong.

Ahhh, I was under the impression it was a valid source for take down in any country not considered to be "off shore hosting" like example, Swiss, or Hong Kong.

Complicated question under international law....i.e., would an infringement in the US be actionable in a foreign court based on a defense of compliance with DCMA. Would take a treatise worth of writing to cover all of the potential issues. But, essentially, all parties to the presented example being outside of the US, DCMA is not an issue here.

Yeah, guess it was better an example of my general point... I'd be pretty pissed if a host took my site down because they feared legal action from a spoofed letter from a rival site.

Well, then the follow question for me, one that may crack this "mystery" is that they stated, you must attend

"Date you must attend: Monday 24th September 2012
Time: 09:00AM - 13:00PM
Room: **B F*/B"

What kind of address is that? No physical street address or court? If there is none, then this is completely bogus. If there is a court specified, then it is easy enough to call them and check if there is a hearing or case docketed for that date.

Where do they suggest you go?
I asked in the ticket to which court so I could prepare Transport and got a court address:

70 Horseferry Road, City of Westminster, SW1P 2

Michael, this stinks of scam. I've had people across the world attempt this crap with me, and the end result has gone nowhere. Your only action is to request the specifics in writing, sent to your address, not electronic. You would need to be served if court action was being taken, which means someone in person.

I've also had real cases where someone wanted to sue me / my forum, for some nonsense they did, yet blame me. A solicitor for a few hours is your best bet... and besides, they have to come to you when across countries, not you them.

Court doesn't move that fast... especially when you haven't even been served. Call their bluff, regardless who they claim to be. In writing, in your mailbox, and then get a solicitor to confirm it all for legalities. It might cost you a few hundred bucks for a couple hours of a solicitors time, but they will get to the bottom pretty quickly.

I have whoised the domain name that you transferred to apparently this big company they do not look legit at all​
Registrant's address:
Porkkalankatu 1
00180 Helsinki
Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
Finland​

I have whoised the domain name that you transferred to apparently this big company they do not look legit at all:​
Porkkalankatu 1​
00180 Helsinki​
Finland​
Helsinki​
Helsinki​
00180​
Finland​

Sulake own the domain: http://sulake.com/

http://www.sulake.com/contact/

I've emailed these:
Any correspondence, like letters or emails with Ministry of Justice identity that request private information, should be treated with extreme caution. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of such communications, please contact us on 020 3334 3555 or by email: general.queries@justice.gsi.gov.uk

I happen to be the customer and a good friend of michaels

Sulake own the domain: http://sulake.com/

http://www.sulake.com/contact/

I've emailed these:
Any correspondence, like letters or emails with Ministry of Justice identity that request private information, should be treated with extreme caution. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of such communications, please contact us on 020 3334 3555 or by email: general.queries@justice.gsi.gov.uk

If you mean that you received that as text of an email, then the horrible English pretty much seals the deal- this is a scam. However, if you would like to help me move $59 million USD that my uncle has in Nigeria, I could probably make a sweet deal for you! ;)

Top Bottom