Hail Jake once more - Review system created for Hearth.com

craigiri

We had an old section of our site for folks to submit reviews on their wood heating appliances (wood stoves, pellet stoves, etc).

I had cobbled it together about 12 years ago and it was long in the tooth.

I had Jake create an updated system which is now live at:
http://www.hearth.com/talk/ratings.php

The system looks very simple, but provides these advantages and features over my last one:

1. Ability to sort on the main list
2. Ability for quick search on model or maker
3. Ability to search on most any field
4. Star ratings - old system just had numbers
5. Look and feel integrated into XF.
6. Automatic extra privileges for me (to edit, delete, OK, etc. when logged in)

Due to my having over 1500 records already - and also not wanting the system to rely on XF, a site user does not have to be logged in to submit a review...nor is the review tied to their username. That is all by design - BUT, I receive an email when reviews are entered and they do not display until I approve them.

Of course, you can contact Jake if you want him to roll up something like this for your site!

Told my friend I was working on a big forum. He asked what it's about. I told him it's about fire places. He's like. o_O
Im in big need of a review resource, been requesting one ever since I joined here :) Anyway I can grab this resource?

Anyway I can grab this resource?

Sort of. It's not a general purpose addon. I built this script using his existing data, and without using XenForo's API. It actually runs as a standalone with minimal hooks into XF (mainly db connect, admin check, and kotomi bridge to integrate into the XF layout). There is a crude template system, but everything is hard-coded in the script itself so it can run as a standalone.

I can make it into what you need if you have specs, like a list of fields that you want for add/edit, and what fields you want shown as columns in the item listing.

Took only a few days - got a "test" insert today from Japan that said "testing XRumer", that being a blackhat auto insertion script of some kind.....

Of course, all reviews are not shown until I OK them, so that stopped it.

xrumer is a spam company.
x-rumer (although banned) was logged into my vB site nearly every day.

Top Bottom