XF 1.4 Guests can't view anything

Bashful

I have my permissions set up correctly. I don't have the time to take a screenshot right now, when I wake up I'll gladly post some up tonight when I get up.

Basically, somewhere along the way, my Guests no longer were able to view content. I was just made aware of this.

First thing I thought about was an add on perhaps interfering with viewing content. I went through and disabled every add on. Nothing changed. I ran some of the cache jobs, updated permissions to be just invoke/allow, and double checked other permissions. It's definitely the correct usergroup, usergroup ID is 1.

Any ideas on what it could possibly be?

For clarification on the issue.
Guests should be able to view all content before registration. This was definitely possible at some point.
Guests now get the Error screen with,
"You must be logged in to do that."
And the login fields.

No templates are modified to do this from what I can tell, however I may be wrong. This occurs on Pages, XenPorta and the overall Board. Not entirely sure what could be affecting all three from a single template.

Thanks!

Correct. I was only referring to the Unregistered / Unconfirmed user group.

Try running the Analyze Permissions function. It may help you in identifying the problem.

General Permissions
View:
Yes (Details)
View node:
Yes (Details)
View member lists:
Yes (Details)
View member profiles:
Yes (Details)
Maximum tag alerts per message:
30 (Details)
Search:
Yes (Details)
Edit profile:
No (Details)
Edit custom title:
No (Details)
Follow message moderation rules:
No (Details)
Organize own medals:
No (Details)
Can Push Notification:
No (Details)
[Tag Me] Tag group:
No (Details)
Bypass flood check:
No (Details)
Report content:
No (Details)
Forum Permissions
View threads by others:
Yes (Details)
View thread content:
Yes (Details)
View deleted threads placeholders:
No (Details)
View deleted posts placeholders:
No (Details)
Like posts:
No (Details)
Post new thread:
No (Details)
Post replies:
No (Details)
Delete post by self:
No (Details)
Edit post by self:
No (Details)
Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes):
0 (Details)
Edit thread title by self (requires edit own post):
No (Details)
Delete thread by self:
No (Details)
View attachments to posts:
No (Details)
Upload attachments to posts:
No (Details)
Vote on polls:
No (Details)

Those are the permissions I can see causing this problem, but everything seems fine to me.

I created a user with the unregistered permissions only. Analyzed permissions on the user. I tried test permissions, and it worked perfectly fine. Any other ideas?

Make sure that no specific node permissions are set for the forums... If it is this, then each one would have had to be changed/set manually - so somebody would have had to do it (if there are other admins).
Quick way to check that is to go into ACP -> Applications and then look at the node list. Any with special permissions set will be different (color box around Permissions as shown in the below example).
Screen-Shot-2015-09-13-at-10.12.58-PM.webp

If the main view permission is set to Allow then I can't see why there is no guest access to the whole site.

If you submit a ticket and provide an administrator log in, I can take a look.

Just to follow up on this, it was related to a missing entry in one of the database tables for the unregistered user group, possibly from a rogue add-on?

Just to follow up on this, it was related to a missing entry in one of the database tables for the unregistered user group, possibly from a rogue add-on?
Yeah I figured. There was an add on it had to manually remove. Probably removed one of my database tables in the process.

Thanks!

Doing that rebuilds the permission so there was likely some corruption which has now been resolved.

In a lot of cases toggling a permission off and on again will fix it.

Good call. It's probably "my fault", in one of the 95 steps of the big board importer I am pretty sure it said "don't forget to rebuild permissions".

Let me ask you something, say I were to co-locate VB4 web, DB on same physical machine, with SSD, RAM, and CPUs to spare, so that the stock XF 2.0 importer can run as fast as possible, can you comment on how long I should expect it would take to import 170K users, 150K attachments, 5M posts and 300K threads? I ask because I've spent the last week going the Big Board Importer route and it's proven to be excruciating, not to mention, I am concerned that it not being an official XF feature, there might be side effects I might find out weeks after I migrate.

Top Bottom