Guest page caching

@Chris D it's not looking like a server issue since so many people are running into this.

If it will help you in getting to the bottom of it I can provide you with a bunch of servers with varying configs to test on.

So it seems on the latest version it's still present. I am really wondering from where the problem comes and why for few people only.

Clearly it's a more widespread issue but the devs don't want to take on the issue or even acknowledge it for some reason. We have a customer on XF that's a perfect use-case for guest page caching through very viral traffic spurts, but I'm hesitant to recommend them use a feature that doesn't work properly.

The reasons have been explained: the behaviour isn't consistent with how the guest page caching works. The software cannot be responsible for a server response triggered with a HTTP code that the software itself never uses in that context; if you're seeing 304 not modified and it is missing the XF cache-hit headers it quite simply is not coming from XF.

It is not what we would describe as a "widespread issue" because, at best, we've had a handful of reports for it and it is not consistently reproducible on most installations that we've seen.

If anyone has a consistent reproduction case they are more than welcome, as ever, to submit a ticket with those details. Perhaps even the very customer you speak of absolutely should enable it and they can then report the issue to us if they do encounter it.

The reasons have been explained: the behaviour isn't consistent with how the guest page caching works. The software cannot be responsible for a server response triggered with a HTTP code that the software itself never uses in that context; if you're seeing 304 not modified and it is missing the XF cache-hit headers it quite simply is not coming from XF.

It is not what we would describe as a "widespread issue" because, at best, we've had a handful of reports for it and it is not consistently reproducible on most installations that we've seen.

If anyone has a consistent reproduction case they are more than welcome, as ever, to submit a ticket with those details. Perhaps even the very customer you speak of absolutely should enable it and they can then report the issue to us if they do encounter it.

Sounds like a plan. I'll pose it to them and cite this thread and see if they're interested in helping get to the bottom of it in the process.

If you often testing something, you should do "redis-cli flushall" or better set
'persistent' => false, in config.php

Then stop apache, do a "sync" and then start your apache, the problem is gone. (here)

Last edited:
Do you suggest carrying on with guest page caching if I have this small problem? Because the guest page caching speeds the site for unregistered users.

I disabled the guest page cache. Not only because of the error logged in user, when logging out, here is the forum with active page cache slower than without.

Optimizing MySQL Server (especially InnoDB ) and Apache2 (mod_event + mod_http2) has brought me more speed. If I activate the page cache and wait 24 hours, the forum is slower than without page cache.

Last edited:
My hosting company allowed me to test on another server. I know most likely the servers are setup in the same way but there are some differences between the servers. The same problem occurs.

Did someone test if this problem also occurs with fresh install of xf 2.

My website got upgraded from xf 1.5 to xf 2. May be this is the link between all of us who have this problem.

My hosting company allowed me to test on another server. I know most likely the servers are setup in the same way but there are some differences between the servers. The same problem occurs.

Did someone test if this problem also occurs with fresh install of xf 2.

My website got upgraded from xf 1.5 to xf 2. May be this is the link between all of us who have this problem.
I didn’t upgrade, mine was a install, so definitely nothing to do with that.

Top Bottom