XF 1.1 Group Promotions

Divvens

I had a question about promotions, does this add the user to a secondary group or move the user to a primary group? I want the member to be promoted to a primary group and not to be added to the secondary group, but in the acp options it says "Add user to user groups:" so that makes me think they are added as secondary groups...

Secondary group.

All members should always have the Registered group as the primary, the system has been designed to work like that.

There is no distinction between primary and secondary user groups.

It is recommended however that all users have the Registered user group set as their primary user group and any additional groups they are members of are set as secondary groups. This makes it easy to manage permissions due to the cumulative nature in which they are applied.

http://xenforo.com/help/user-groups/

Thanks for the information brogan, but I'm facing a problem here

I've set the criteria for promotion to be 150 trophy points, 3 of my members have met that criteria, now while sorting everything out I run the cron entry for user group promotions but they aren't getting promoted to the next rank (with a new image/username color), i made sure to put the styling priority higher but it still doesn't seem to get the new styling for that usergroup. Is there something else I need to add in the criteria except for just trophy points?

I have another question, I even used the ACP search but it didn't direct me anywhere.

Where can I set the permissions so that the ignore function is not used, currently I do not need/want the ignore function on my board.

Thanks,
Here with another question :P Does custom user field support html/images? As in I want to give the users option to select from 4 images they want to display under their username etc. Is that possible?

On the subject of user promotions, I currently put new users in a lower permissions group to combat human spammers, and then promote them once they get to x no. posts.

If I were to keep Registered as the primary for all groups, would I need to revoke privs for the Newbies secondary group, or would the Registered primary group override the revokes of the secondary group?

Or ... do the perms cascade from lowest to highest? In which case Newbie's would have to be the topmost group (so the revoke overwrites the Registered perms) with the higher priv groups being further down the chain?

Apologies ... I'm still trying to get my head around XF privs. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

The groups are irrelevant, the priory is the same for all groups.

Permission value priority is set in this order: (highest priority first)
  1. Never – this will not grant the permission. This can never be overridden, so should be used sparingly.
  2. Allow – this will grant the permission.
  3. Not Set (No) – this will not grant the permission. This is the lowest priority value; any explicit allow will override this.
Node permissions follow a similar concept to user group and user permissions, but the terminology is a bit different. The permission value priority is: (highest priority first)
  1. Never – this does not grant the permission and cannot be overridden.
  2. Allow – this grants the permission.
  3. Revoke – this does not grant the permission, but can be overridden.
  4. Inherit – this takes the value from the parent.

http://xenforo.com/help/permissions/

It's the "always be a member of registered" that I'm not comprehending, since Registered will have higher privs than I want to give to newbies.

In my example Newbies (lowest set of privs) should have their settings revoked by using Not Set (No) to disallow them, yes?

But if they are ALSO Registered group members too (higher privs) surely the Allow will override the Not Set of the newbie group?

In other words, the Registered primary group with excplicity allow things that are NOT allowed for newbies. So wouldn't it be better to have them in the Newbies as the primary group to start with and then promote them to the registered group using the promotions system?

Sorry ... I realise this must be frustrating (and I'm not very good at expressing myself sometimes) but I'm failing to see how being in the registered primary group will work when you want to remove privs for certain other secondary groups?

(Wishes there was some visual way of percieving XF privs as I often "get" stuff when it is illustrated ... lol).

Cheers,

Set the Registered user group permissions to the lowest possible and use that for the newbies.

Then promote the other members into a new group with higher permissions.

Set the Registered user group permissions to the lowest possible and use that for the newbies.

Then promote the other members into a new group with higher permissions.

Oklay, thanks, that at least confirms my perception of how the privs override each other.

Whilst the Registered-as-lowest-privs idea is a good one, I've already got multiple different levels and my "Registered" member group sits in the middle, so I'll stick with using the promotion system when I import.

Thanks for bearing with me though ... lol

Cheers,

Oklay, thanks, that at least confirms my perception of how the privs override each other.

Whilst the Registered-as-lowest-privs idea is a good one, I've already got multiple different levels and my "Registered" member group sits in the middle, so I'll stick with using the promotion system when I import.

Thanks for bearing with me though ... lol

Cheers,
I took 2 hours to completely change my promotion system (it was different before 1.1, so had to totally change it). Now I've gone and understood the real permissions system of XF, and I must say its damn easy and efficient. If you run into any problems I'll try my best to help you :D

Top Bottom