Lack of interest Graceful load handling

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Only thing I like about windows server is the RDC (remote desktop connection) that allows you to remote in and use a full desktop GIU just like you were sitting at the server. You can do something like that with VNC for 'nix boxes, but it's got some major security issues.

If you need a mouse to setup a server there's something seriously wrong in the first place :p ;)

I prefer plain SSH :)

If you need a mouse to setup a server there's something seriously wrong in the first place :p ;)

I prefer plain SSH :)

Same here, and if you really want to use a mouse then use mc (midnight commander) as that allows mouse input...

Hmmkay are we already in this level - again?

On Topic: Good idea. I doesn't have to be the server load which is being read. An adjustable amount of concurrent users online via ACP should work on every server regardless of the OS and config.

I sometimes need a bit of gui, but only for editing really large files that can't be done in vim in a way that I'll stay sane :)

I didn't say it was necessary, or even particularly useful in a 'nix box, just that it's the only real point that I can see to having a Windows based server. :)

We had a remote admin box like that a year or two ago, and it actually was very useful for large FTP transfers and backups as we're on a somewhat anemic DSL connection here, and have no access to to anything faster. So having a remote workstation setup with all the admin tools was quite useful, esp on the road where we would frequently have a very slow connection. It also allowed us to check sites from a totally separate network when there were routing issues, Verizon was being a PITA etc.

Now that we've got our main server migrated to Softlayer's Stormondemand system we have much better backup solutions, and the ability to spawn/destroy a complete duplicate testbed at any time is a godsend for testbed use. Don't even have to mess with Rsync etc. Plus we only get charged for the testbed for the minutes that it exists. :)

I sometimes need a bit of gui, but only for editing really large files that can't be done in vim in a way that I'll stay sane :)
::nods::
For me Vi/Vim work fine for simple things like changing a php.ini or mod_sec whitelist setting, but for doing large/complex stuff it gets really irritating YMMV. ;)

I really like the idea of the OP though, it makes a lot of sense to be able to prioritize services and start throttling down on the less critical functions during peak load conditions. It would also be an invaluable thing to have if you suddenly get media attention etc. Nothing would suck more than having your site appear in an article and having other reporters etc hit the site just as the traffic spike from the article made your server go OOM or drove your load averages through the roof!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom