1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Graceful load handling

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Jerry, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

As I thought of for vB ages ago : http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-189

Just link certain expensive functionality to the server load level and allow it or no by a give threshold.

Some telco services I built used a similar technique and it worked out great for capacity planning and monitoring, as well as saving servers that were under siege.

2. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

What, we all don't have F5's ?? ;)

3. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Interesting one. What functions do you propose fall under this feature? Additionally, it won't work on all servers.

4. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

The expensive ones.

It will definitely work on the servers that it's needed, i.e. dedicated ones.

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

VPS too Jerry, unless I misunderstand what your proposal is.

6. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Abomination likes this.
  7. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

And not Windows. :/ Nevermind - I still support the suggestion.

8. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

equivalent for windows
    Code:
    <?php
    ob_start();
    passthru('typeperf -sc 1 "\processor(_total)\% processor time"',$status);
    $content = ob_get_contents();
    ob_end_clean();
    if ($status === 0) {
        if (preg_match("/\,\"([0-9]+\.[0-9]+)\"/",$content,$load)) {
            if ($load[1] > get_config('busy_error')) {
                header('HTTP/1.1 503 Too busy, try again later');
                die('Server too busy. Please try again later.');
            }
        }
    }
    ?>

9. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

We did say serious server.

Walter, James, gordy and 2 others like this.
  10. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Holy crap :eek:

11. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

That is a valid point

12. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

But it is a "serious" server? Well, at least Microsoft is trying to make is serious in PHP/MySQL hosting.

I am currently preferring the performance on Windows than Linux.

13. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

Cheeky ;) :p

14. mlx

mlx Well-Known Member

You should really give nginx with php-fpm on Linux a try then. I seriously doubt that any Windows server beats this.

15. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I used Litespeed on Linux before I moved to Windows. I'll setup a server later and see :)

16. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

There is no competition between them, a well set up Linux machine will wipe the floor with windows.

17. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

You seem to know much about these things, are there any advantages to a windows server?

I am not that technical, but it seems Linux works really well, at least for us.

18. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Think this thread is a little off topic...

19. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

I worked for a Tier 1 host for years with many thousands of machines (as well as vB for a while) and found that typically it familiarity for developers who work on windows locally who haven't worked in unix enough to feel OK with it.

Though for people who's education/career/hobbies took them though C/scripting/*nix/etc ....... they don't look back.

I dare say the first post is all that is needed for a suggestion I think.

Abomination likes this.
  20. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Only thing I like about windows server is the RDC (remote desktop connection) that allows you to remote in and use a full desktop GIU just like you were sitting at the server. You can do something like that with VNC for 'nix boxes, but it's got some major security issues.

For the non-cli savvy (I'm working on it, but still fall into this group), this can be a very helpful interface. Using a Windows based VPS this way can also be hugely helpful as it gives you a remote admin box with super highspeed network connections for doing VERY large file transfers, backups etc. It's also helpful as you can load up things like Navicat etc on the remote box and then connect to it from anywhere using a thin client and initiating all processes on the remote box.

As an actually production webserver though?
    :: slow headshake ::
    Not even on a bet... :rolleyes:

Kier likes this.