XF 1.4 Google's sitelinks search box and non-guests search

Mouth

Google search has started showing it's search box in search results (thanks XF!) ...

Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 14.40.56.webp

... but my Guest usergroup permissions are set so that they cannot use search (I prefer visitors to sign-up if they want to start using on-site functionality such as search, etc.)

Thus, when using the google sitelinks search, it sends the user straight to XF search results but they get a permissions error.

Interested in people's thoughts on this? Should I just allow guests to use search, or perhaps investigate/ask for an add-on so that search queries with redirect from google.co* are allowed?

The search ld+json block that I'm seeing isn't XenForo's -- it has a different input "name". XenForo checks for the search permission and only displays it if enabled.

It's unrelated to the XML sitemap so I'm not sure what that means.

But yes, something else has inserted this (presumably into your PAGE_CONTAINER template?).

Search all of your templates in your style for: "name=search_term_string"

That's the text that is different from the version in the XF Core.

If that doesn't come up with any results, then you will need to try disabling all of your add-ons and working out which one has added the above string (which is part of the code which has added the box).

Top Bottom