1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Googlebot Can See My BBCode

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by WearableTechForums.com, Dec 7, 2014.

1. I ran a Google search for my website and discovered that apparently Googlebot crawled by BBCode. Why would this be happening? My BBcode should be converted to HTML and should not be visible.

CNK and semprot like this.
  2. Optic

Optic Well-Known Member

Similar thread here by @CNK

The root cause is due to BBCode tags appearing in the truncated opening post for the meta description.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. Hmm. So there's no straightforward way to fix this? It seems like xenForo should resolve this on its own.
    CNK likes this.
  4. Optic

Optic Well-Known Member

5. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Interesting tagging choices. A moderator and 2 developers instead of the 3 developers. Mind as well get Jake and Slavik in on that party :p
    Liam W and Amaury like this.
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

It isn't a bug.
    Liam W likes this.
  7. So—it's a feature? It seems like a bug to me. I'm not sure there is anyone who actually wants their BBCode to be crawled. With all due respect. :)
    CNK likes this.
  8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Could you please explain?
    CNK likes this.
  9. This sounds like it's not considered a "bug" because there was never a failed attempt to "fix" it. (I'm assuming.) But even it's not a "bug," it's still a bug.
    CNK likes this.
  10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Consider a thread with just an embedded image or an attachment.

If those tags were stripped completely the content would be blank.
  11. I think I'd rather have occasionally blank metadata than BBCode metadata…

Just me, though. Your call.
    CNK likes this.
  12. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The float_left thing is weird so I need to check that, but the explanation with the attach placeholder is correct and is most definitely as designed. You will see this anywhere we do a plain text representation of BB code content.
  13. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Then you can edit the files as suggested in the other thread, or have an add-on developed.
  14. float_left is a custom BBCode.
    Yes, I understand. I'm not trying to be argumentative; just a reasonable disagreement.
  15. CNK

CNK Active Member

As more and more people have troublesome BB Code in Meta Description, so you may want to add an option to choose remove all BB code from Meta Description?

I do not think anyone posted topics with the same images without any content...