Google webmaster tools 404 error for ip.board calendar links

Vijay

I moved from ipboard to xenforo last month and setup redirects as well. Today I saw Google webmaster tools reported 514 404 not found errors and most of them relating to ipboard calendar links. How do I solve this issue? Shouldn't Xenforo be redirecting them to home page?

Most of the errors related to
Code:
index.php?/calendar/2-community-calendar/day-xxxx-xx-xx
and some are for
Code:
index.php?/members/page__sort_key__joined__sort_order__asc__max_results__20__quickjump__O__name_box__begins__name__O__quickjump__S

It is expected that you will have some broken links. The important links are redirected (like threads), but there is no catchall for other links.

If the IPB files still exist then you can add this to IPB's config file (not sure the exact name off hand):

Code:
header("Location: http://www.apple.com/");

That will cause all other IPB URLs to redirect to the specified URL. Or this can be setup with custom rewrite rules too.

SEO-wise this is no better than a broken link.

Hi Jake, thanks for the reply. If seo wise its not beneficial then it really doesn't matter. Any idea how long before Google drops the 404 links?
Also, I have one more query. I have the redirect script and htaccess file which came with it. How long are we suppose to keep that particular htaccess and redirect script after the switchover? Is there a time frame after which you can place the default xenforo htaccess file?

Might take a couple months to update the index and redirected URLs. Check Google periodically to see if the old links remain. Once they are updated then you can take down the redirects. Though it can be good to leave the redirects alone as they will still be useful for non-Google links such as old bookmarks.

Top Bottom