Google Search Engine - "Mobile friendly"

tommydamic68

So with all the hoopla recently with the Google search engine and the "mobile friendly" talk, I have always been confused of what a good search rank really is. In other words, perhaps someone can explain a proper search results and ranking for a particular subject like mine.

So, lets use my site as an example. My forum name/ URL is Sphynxlair. The forum is about a particular breed of cat, the "sphynx." We don't sell them, its just a general forum about health, care, food and litter tips and some social community fun to top it off.

So, if you search "sphynx" or "sphynx cat" via Google my website comes up on the 7th page of searching "sphynx" and page 3 on searching "sphynx cat."

If you search "sphynx forum" or "sphynx cat forum" my site comes up #1 on both via Google search. So my question is, I do have a "sphynx forum" so is this as expected? when talking ranking and key words, what does one look at?

Do some research into the sites that rank better than you for the desired phrases such as "sphynx cat" and see what types of sites and links are pointing to them.

Try working to get some links from of of those sites too. Have content people want to link to. Does the empty media section have content guests can't view?

The longer the phrase the easier it should be for you to target. The single word sphynx I'd think you'll get crushed by sites like wikipedia and other with high authority.

Consider changing "random media" to "Sphynx Cat Pictures"

Consider changing the file name of your logo to sphynx-cat.png and changing the alt text to "sphynx cat"

Basically, anything that's generic, work on getting "sphynx cat" in there. The three word+ phrases will probably be easiest.

This is just a tiny start of the zillion things that are possible to experiment with.

Do some research into the sites that rank better than you for the desired phrases such as "sphynx cat" and see what types of sites and links are pointing to them.

Try working to get some links from of of those sites too. Have content people want to link to. Does the empty media section have content guests can't view?

The longer the phrase the easier it should be for you to target. The single word sphynx I'd think you'll get crushed by sites like wikipedia and other with high authority.

Consider changing "random media" to "Sphynx Cat Pictures"

Consider changing the file name of your logo to sphynx-cat.png and changing the alt text to "sphynx cat"

Basically, anything that's generic, work on getting "sphynx cat" in there. The three word+ phrases will probably be easiest.

This is just a tiny start of the zillion things that are possible to experiment with.
Thanks for the info. I did change the logo file name and I didn't even know guests could not view images so I fixed that as well. Also renamed random media as you described. Thanks again!

Top Bottom