1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google indexing "login" and "search" pages instead of forum pages on first page

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by 1BJK903, Oct 29, 2014.

1. 1BJK903

1BJK903 Active Member

Hi all,

I want Google to use my tabs (used as nodes) on the first page where you can find my site and than 8 more links, linking to "search", "contact" etcetera...

But on my main navigation, I see things like "football", "sports" and "rugby" etcetera...
    I want that to be shown on the first page instead of contact etc...

How can I force this?
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Are you talking about the links below your search result?

If so, the last time I checked, you can't control this.

Google decides what the important links are. It doesn't need no stupid human to tell it what the actual important links are. It's far more capable of making that decision for you :p

If there is anything to control it then it will be within Google Webmaster Tools.
    Amaury likes this.
  3. 1BJK903

1BJK903 Active Member

I understand that... but this stupid machine does not recognize the most important pages of my site...

How can I change them in GWT?
  4. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Chris said if you could it would be in GWT, not that you definitely can do it from there.

AFAIK you can't, you're just going to have to live with it for now until Google deems other parts of your site more important.
  5. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

You can indeed manage those links. In Webmaster Tools, go to Search Appearance > Site Links, and demote the url's.
  6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Fair enough, you can remove links you don't want as sitelinks by demoting them, but you can't specify the ones you do want, you have to rely on Google to pick them.
  7. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I can't see how Google would list contact on a xenforo site as it is a popup.

I agree, demote anything you don't want in GWT, or in robots.txt

The big question is what search terms are you using? Do they include the words football, sports, rugby etc.?
  8. Chris D

Whether it's a pop up or not, Google will follow it.

Google will see it like this:

9. Mr Lucky

Yes, but less likely to be indexed, however very easy enough to noindex.
  10. Chris D

It is not less likely to be indexed.

Google has no idea that it's a pop up. It just sees it the same as any other page.
  11. Mr Lucky

I agree, and I'm sure you have more knowledge on how it all works, but I assumed that a popup like that doesn't have the usual SEO advantages of a title , headers, meaningful text etc. so it surprises me that it would be picked up as more relevant than pages with good and useful content.

I'm always happy to learn, especially the SEO stuff.