1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Analytics for forum drilldown

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Dakis, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

Is there a way to see the pageviews for everything under a specific forum?

For example if I have a FORUM A, see the total of pageviews for its threadlist, but also for all of the topics in that forum?

2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Dakis likes this.
  3. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

For anyone too lazy to figure out which templates to edit (me), a useful proxy would be be going to Content Drilldown and then drilling to /community/forums/. Clearly, our subforums are badly unbalanced:

upload_2014-1-14_14-27-22.png

Digital Doctor likes this.
  4. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

But this only shows you the pageviews in the thread list in everyone of these forums, right? It doesn't include the topic views.

5. ForestForTrees

Yup, though as the above indicates, in our case it was still quite useful.

6. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

I seem to recall vbseo had a way to do this but my memory is hazy...

I wish there was some easy way to get this data :(

7. ForestForTrees

Yeah, ideally, it would be built into the core.

I suspect that the template to edit would be google_analytics. To add a custom variable to Google Analytics isn't super hard, AFAIK. You just call something like
    Code:
    _gaq.push(['_setCustomVar',
          1,                   // This custom var is set to slot #1.  Required parameter.
          'Section',           // The top-level name for your online content categories.  Required parameter.
          '{$forum.node_id}',  // Sets the value of "Section" to the title of the node for this thread. Required parameter.
          3                    // Sets the scope to page-level.  Optional parameter.
       ]);
    Of course, you'd have to ask what the {$forum.node_id} code would return when a page other than a thread is being viewed. Perhaps you could handle this with a conditional, or perhaps it would be good as it is. @Brogan offers the following code in his excellent tutorial:
    Code:
    <xen:if is="{$forum.node_id} == x">
    This content will show in forum x
    </xen:if>
    For the record, I don't know if the above code would work, but I bet it would be a good starting point.

Dakis likes this.
  8. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

It was easy in vBulletin because the URLs had the forum names in them.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-announcements/vbulletin-announcements_aa

As you can see, Xenforo URLs don't have the subforum names in them

upload_2014-1-15_16-35-17.png

9. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

Thanks @ForestForTrees , unfortunately I'm not that skilled with GA to figure it out, I guess it will have to stay as is.

10. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

11. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

This is listed under "landing pages." In a normal, stock Analytics/Forum setup.

12. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

@Carlos can you please elaborate?

13. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Look at image, please. :D

Landing.png

I'm not using any modification on this. Landing pages, and Trackback are two sources that may be relevant to what you're asking. Trackback, as you recall... is popular in Wordpress, so whatever site is linking to your content... you'll know.. where... your content is being linked from.. ;)

14. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

What does wordpress or trackback have to do with this discussion? Check the request on the first post again, I think you're talking about something entirely different here.

15. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

No, I'm not, I'm just saying that both landing pages (what you're asking for), and Trackback can tell you where your most popular content is and where it came from.

They're closely correlated and entwined.

As for wordpress, I'm just saying, it's the same idea - and google made a bit more options there, too.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  16. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

Please read the first post, your responses are not related to the thread.

17. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

I never understood why Xenforo doesn't implement the url system of VB/IPB etc., the url system used by XF is very confusing...for the reasons posted here.

IMHO without this url structure is very difficult to have features like this....

Anyway, i'm agree that will be a very useful feature. +1!

18. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wish that software on anyone.