It's time to install Google Analytics 4

Baby Community

Friends When I look at Google Analytics for a few days, I get the message "Time to install Google Analytics 4". Is there an article or topic that will help with this?

Convert your current GA over to the new GA 4 format and use the new G-XXXX code they give you instead of the old UA-XXXX that you used to use. They should have a prompt/link where you are told that on the Google Analytics site... at least they did for me.
Or you could simply install @digitalpoint's Better Google Analytics, and get a lot more than the built in XF features for your ACP.

Convert your current GA over to the new GA 4 format and use the new G-XXXX code they give you instead of the old UA-XXXX that you used to use. They should have a prompt/link where you are told that on the Google Analytics site... at least they did for me.
Or you could simply install @digitalpoint's Better Google Analytics, and get a lot more than the built in XF features for your ACP.
Does installing the Digital Point addon make it so that no changes need to be made at the Google Analytics site? Or do you still need to convert there?

I've been running both in parallel with a small template edit. eventually, yes, just change the setting to put Universal in the settings.

not sure it's very useful to do this but i want to make sure i had some overlap to ensure the tracking was similar.

Does installing the Digital Point addon make it so that no changes need to be made at the Google Analytics site? Or do you still need to convert there?
You are still going to have to convert..... all the add-on does is give you more tracking info (basically) in your ACP so you don't have to go to the Google site to get it.

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 2.21.48 PM.webp
Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 2.22.02 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 2.22.45 PM.webp

If you want to use the built in ability, simply use the new Google G- number in place of the old UA- number.

You are still going to have to convert..... all the add-on does is give you more tracking info (basically) in your ACP so you don't have to go to the Google site to get it.
If you want to use the built in ability, simply use the new Google G- number in place of the old UA- number.
Thank you. Got all my sites converted and setup today. :) I may still install that addon. It looks great.

I quit using GA ages ago and went the Matomo route.

I hate tracking (your users).
Hmmmmm... let's see.. free or pay someone to track data for your free site that costs the user nothing to access...
Personally... I'll continue to use Google. It might be different if I was getting financial benefit from the site that off-set those costs... but I already "offset" the costs of the users by directly funding the script, the paid add-ons and the hosting and ask absolutely zero in return.
And there are already enough browser "add-ons" that can help control that if you don't want it.

Problem is that most people think that way. It's free so whatever.

Why privacy isn't on most people's radar is beyond me but that's another discussion.

But yes, it takes a bit of effort to setup Matomo. For smaller sites you can use a free cloud hosted tier or if it has to be free for your big site, host it yourself.

I use a small vps for Matomo stats for my big board. Bit more effort but cheap and more important, privacy friendly.

use a small vps for Matomo stats for my big board. Bit more effort but cheap and more important, privacy friendly.
Again... personally I'm not one that is worried about "privacy" for the user - there is ultimately a cost at every level for "free" services. If I was charging for access... that would be another matter. But currently, I average about $1K a year (easily) for users access with no desire for recovering those costs.
Even the "free host it yourself" tier has costs for detailed information that you are going to have to pay.
Activity log... fork over $29 USD a year for it
Search engine keyword performance... fork over another $159 USD a year for it
HeatMap & session recording... fork over another $299 USD a year for it.
Custom Reports... fork over another $229 USD a year for it...

I provide a LOT to my users for free... but there are ample add-ons that will allow them to block the tracking cookies if they are that worried about it, and blocking that will in no way interfere with use of the site.

how? can you guide me?
I logged in at the Google Analytics site and followed buttons/links for transferring my current site(s) to the new GA4 setup. You don't need to do much. You can pretty much just allow the settings to transfer over from your current instances... Or you can go into each setting individually and make changes to how/what data is recorded... Once finished, just copy the new "Google Analytics web property ID" into the XenForo settings...

Top Bottom