Google AdSense Auto Ads - your opinions

BassMan

Hi all,

I'm testing Google's new AdSense Auto Ads. I have mixed feelings about this. It's really super easy to install and almost zero configuration, but ads also display on e.g. on help pages, between nodes in forum list (but many of them), between threads in thread list etc. Ok, some positions are interesting, but they are not always loaded in the same position.

It's true I'm using it for one day now, but I'd also like to hear your experience with AdSense Auto Ads.

Regards,
BassMan

Last edited:
I noticed that MacRumors has started using the full page mobile ads on thread load sometimes. I can’t remember if that’s part of the same system off hand.

When you load the thread you get a full page add that has to be dismissed, very similar to in app ads.

Anyone else using them? If so, how have the users reacted and are you making more from them?

where do you place the code?
Is it in the Container header under advertisments in xen 2?

Went to your site @BassMan. Didn't see any ads running anywhere. You have a demo of the site using the new Adsense Auto Ad?

Thanks,
Itworx4me

I tried them but turned it off. I judge the experience of it based on how I experience sites that have ads. Macrumors is a good example. The vignette ads are really irritating and tarnish the experience as they are so invasive. Same with the anchor ads. I hate them personally, so they won't run on my sites.

Anybody willing to link to their site if they're running these auto ads? I'm interested to see how good or bad they are, thanks. :)

I think this auto ads system is not adapted to our xenforo boards for many reason. Firstable the structure of our forum is not as the wordpress blog for exemple where the auto ads could be better.
I don't want google adsense to choose for me wher i have to place my ads. I don't want the ads to be too intrusive and disturbing the user experience in my forum. Ads must fit perfectly our structure in size and color as well as positions. Only us can choose this parameters.
In my case my best positions (above content, above top breadcrumb...) are dedicated to my own sponsors and partners and the others positions wich are not sellable i reserve them for the adsense. Of course my global average of adsense revenue dropped but global revenue seriously increased with direct sponsors. And i've found the way to make the adsense revenue increase also.
The best positions are under first message, under fifth message and under 10th message but keep in mind that i display only ten message per page. The solution is here. Don't display 20 messages per page.
I've also found an other solution in mooving the defaults positions directly in the page container to occupy the space in a better way.
I was so happy when the XF2 version supply a menu in the backend to manage our ads.
More over i've coded a platform that display my partners ads for a determined time in rotation each 15 seconds and when their subscription is finished the adsense automatically take the place.
It is just my modest feedback

Yep, I think it's those vinegarette style ads, very invasive. We will more than likely remove them from G Auto Ads configuration.

Top Bottom