Google AdSense Auto Ads

frm

I turned Google AdSense Auto Ads on for guests but want tiered levels of ads to display for members (4, 3, 1, 0) in a non-intrusive manner.

It seems like if you enable Auto Ads, but disable this "unit" for specific ad units with @Siropu Ad Manager for user groups/criteria with pre-defined ad units that Auto Ads still creep in and fill it up how they want.

Is there a way to turn off Auto Ads or do the ad units always inject Auto Ads on the entire site despite them being off for specific ad units? (i.e just 1 above breadcrumb ad for members will automatically inject Auto Ads).

Is this something controllable or once you enable Auto Ads, no matter if you show 1 ad unit, it will always show Auto Ads?

Auto Ads give me the greatest source of income, but, I don't want to bombard members with ads popping from the top, bottom, in content, etc. for just members...

Google does display auto-ads whenever auto-ads are enabled for a website and there is at least one AdSense codes on the page.

You can go to your AdSense Account and use their tools to disable Auto-Ads in certain places but that is tedious and doesn't really work well.
Apart from that I don't know any way to have more control over auto-ads - we ended up not displaying any AdSense to registered members because of that as the only other option would have been to disable auto-ads which would have been a larger loss.

Reactions: frm
You can go to your AdSense Account and use their tools to disable Auto-Ads in certain places but that is tedious and doesn't really work well.
That would essentially disable auto ads for guests as well though. I suppose I could just create specific ad units and strategically place them to appear as "auto ads" for guests, but Google really needs to allow for it to not be sitewide...

I appreciate the info. I'll work on creating ads and running for guests for a week. However, I noticed turning off auto ads for a week (with displaying ad units to guests), revenue shot way down. It appears as if Google weighs heavily on auto ads, and, organic search skyrockets when they are enabled.

I'll run a week-long test of ad units catered to guests with auto ads disabled and see how it pans out again.

we ended up not displaying any AdSense to registered members
This is also something we have done. However, I created a user preference to enable ads as a way to support the site, that are less intrusive and tested with ad units I can only see. Though, auto ads inject and it's the same as showing auto ads to registered members as well, which everyone would opt-out of, so it's moot to even consider with the organic search decline of not having them.

The huge decline in organic search is what's most concerning. It went down about 60% by turning off auto ads.

As said, we've not turned off auto ads, we just do not show AdSense for registered members (only for guests with auto ads enabled).

Reactions: frm
As said, we've not turned off auto ads, we just do not show AdSense for registered members (only for guests with auto ads enabled).
Seems like there is no medium. I suppose I'll find another ad feed for members to show a 720x90 ad and that's it.

auto ads need work. They are too out of control for members.

I've set it so that guests get auto ads and members don't see google at all at this point. i'm feeding other units to the registered folks.

There is no centerpoint.

Yeah, but I doubt Google is going to change much there - I think in the long run they want to go auto ads only.

Being able to disable auto ads per view (by injecting some kind of blocking code into the page) and marking page areas as "not allowed for auto ads" (via some tags or HTML comments, etc.) would be ideal.

I just had Paul upgrade my site from 1.5.1 to the latest 2.x today (I know, I know, don't judge :) ). -- Big shout out to Paul!!! Thanks!

Anyway, I'm trying to get my google Adsense ads working. My account with them is squared and was working.

1) I went to adsense and got the code;
2) I went into Admin >> Setup >> Advertising
3) I created a new advertisement, placed my code into the HTML box
4) I selected all the groups under "User is a member of any of the selected user groups", then saved.

No love. Not working.. Can anyone maybe share a little wisdom here? What am I missing?

Wayne

we ended up not displaying any AdSense to registered members because of that as the only other option would have been to disable auto-ads which would have been a larger loss.

Hi,

I'm trying to do the same. I put the code into the PAGE_CONTAINER template before the
Code:
</head>
tag. Auto-ads do work. However I have a problem - Conversations. Google doesn't have access there so it doesn't serve ads in Conversations. But Auto-ads do take a room. Alooot of room...

How to fix it? Should I put some conditionals into PAGE_CONTAINER? Or PAGE_CONTAINER template is not the proper template to insert Auto-ads code?

Thanks in advance.

might be offtopic, but def disable the autoads on your login/signup pages and any page where the user makes an action where the chance of them clicking an ad is next to nothing. The impressions are great, but they also lower your CTR, which could, in theory, lower your overall RPM.

I turned mine off for login, registration, and sometimes even homepage depending on the site.

You can do this by excluding the urls in your adsense admin.

You'd need to wrap is in a double conditional - could be tricky since you want it to be time-based.

Your best bet might be to start a new thread asking for help with that condition. I don't know the answer.

Auto-ads started to appear in the sticky top navigation bar, stretching it almost on the whole screen.
Does it happen to anyone else? Is there a way to fix it?

Top Bottom