Google AdSense Auto Ads

Bad idea. If you lose members, revenue will drop anyway.
Well, it's a little bit more complicated than that. )
First of all I show ads for guests only. So "If you lose members..." doesn't apply in this case.
Second - my forum is 10 years old, and most of the traffic comes from google to old old threads, that members don't visit for years.
Also 80% of my traffic - those guests from google, that lands once and never return again.
So my members and threads they discuss, and guests from google - two different universes.

I ended up killing off auto ads, they were like weeds, popping up everywhere.

They've distort certain things but worst of all, they seemed to love inserting them in quoted parts of messages, so the "quote" was nothing but an ad. Got a lot of member complaints on that, and finally pulled them, even though it meant a hit on my (way too small) revenue.

I ended up killing off auto ads, they were like weeds, popping up everywhere.

They've distort certain things but worst of all, they seemed to love inserting them in quoted parts of messages, so the "quote" was nothing but an ad. Got a lot of member complaints on that, and finally pulled them, even though it meant a hit on my (way too small) revenue.

How much of a difference are we talking about? I have never tried auto ads and it seems like i am missing out especially with covid19, earnings have taken a huge hit (20-25%).

Auto Ads will increase the number of ads on a page and change the size and types of those ads. Depending on your settings, they can look butt ugly on a forum but you will make more money.

I have found that a couple of things can mitigate the ugly factor though:
  • before you enable auto ads, first set up some regular ads in locations you don't want Auto Ads to mess with and leave those running for a few days until the ads are appearing fairly regularly
  • for example, I don't want to see ginormous rectangular or square ads right at the top below the navigation bar or top breadcrumbs, so I set a responsive banner which is less obnoxious for that location.
  • I'm not sure if this will always be true but at least until recently AutoAds was not inserting their ads in locations already occupied by regular ads, so that's a way to protect that location
See also:

this message im getting from adsense when i want to ad my site

Connect your site to AdSense
Copy and paste this code in the HTML of your site, between the <head> and </head> tags.

Place the code on every page you want to show ads. After we’ve run some checks, your site will be ready to show ads.
Remember to go to Ads and choose the ad formats you want to show.WordPress user? Learn how to insert code in your WordPress site.
URL of your site
Your AdSense code
Copy
Submit
Back
help_outline

If you're wanting to apply Adsense Auto Ads by usergroup (eg. Auto Ads to Visitors, defined Ad Units to Registered), is it as simple as applying a usergroup conditional around the <head> code? It's slightly different between Auto Ads and Ad Units, thus why I ask.
Eg.
If is Visitor
Auto Ads head code
else
Unit Ads head code.

If you're wanting to apply Adsense Auto Ads by usergroup (eg. Auto Ads to Visitors, defined Ad Units to Registered), is it as simple as applying a usergroup conditional around the <head> code? It's slightly different between Auto Ads and Ad Units, thus why I ask.
Eg.
If is Visitor
Auto Ads head code
else
Unit Ads head code.
Does anyone know how to enable/disable auto ads by user group?

Top Bottom