Goodbye to Winamp, the best MP3-player ever made

aculate

My stomach dropped when I read this news. I've been using winamp since early 1998, almost 16 years. It's the best music player ever created and now it will disappear on December 20th.
Over the years, I've been playing around with other players but i always come back to winamp.
It's a sad day, I'm sad. Winamp is my single most loved piece of software, a legend, and now it's gone, just like that!

Goodbye winamp. Thanks for the good times.

My stomach dropped when I read this news. I've been using winamp since early 1998, almost 16 years. It's the *second* best music player ever created and now it will disappear on December 20th.
Over the years, I've been playing around with other players but i always come back to winamp.
It's a sad day, I'm sad. Winamp is my single most loved piece of software, a legend, and now it's gone, just like that!
Had to correct this. Foobar >> Winamp. By light years :)

But yeah, back then when Winamp came out and fueled the MP3 hype, it was a pretty exciting piece of software. Until 2.x, then AOL took over and whenever AOL takes something over, it's going to be ruined. This rule is *almost* as reliable as the four laws of thermodynamics :)

It has self uninstall? :confused:
If you're an AOL user (yes, they're still out there), it just might. AOL has some history of having things they discontinue be removed upon upgrading their AOL software.

Of course if you're not an AOL user and not using the AOL software.... You have nothing to worry about.

I get the irony, there's no self uninstall, but a software with no more updates is no use to me...
There's other options, like foobar or mediamonkey, but Winamp was my first :)
Lately at home I've been using MediaMonkey more often as it goes a great job of keeping the collection organized but will likely keep on using WinAmp for now at the office. Guess I need to take a look at Foobar at some point.

foobar and mediamonkey are good options, but cannot compare it to winamp's out of the box UI

wa.webp

Last edited:
Was kinda shocked at this when I read about it being shutdown a week or so ago. R.I.P Winamp :laugh: or at least in pieces. #excellentplayersbackintheday

If you're an AOL user (yes, they're still out there), it just might. AOL has some history of having things they discontinue be removed upon upgrading their AOL software.

Of course if you're not an AOL user and not using the AOL software.... You have nothing to worry about.

You can have winamp without AOL and vice versa. :rolleyes:

Media monkey is great for large libraries, including a media server, but its mobile support is a ltitle lacking

I liked Winamp, however I had issues when my whole library was added to it (Hundreds of thousands of songs) so I moved away from it. I think I was using Foobar or MediaMonkey (I tried both) for a while, but now I just use Google All Access as the majority of my music is already on there, and I can always add the major stuff that is missing.

I liked Winamp, however I had issues when my whole library was added to it (Hundreds of thousands of songs) so I moved away from it. I think I was using Foobar or MediaMonkey (I tried both) for a while, but now I just use Google All Access as the majority of my music is already on there, and I can always add the major stuff that is missing.

My library contains 348 942 songs and it's ok. Foobar seems to be faster, Winamp and Media monkey have the same speed. As per Google, i'm from Canada and, believe or not, Google Music (full edition) still isn't available here... go figure!

Last edited:
Top Bottom