1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye to Winamp, the best MP3-player ever made

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aculate, Nov 24, 2013.

1. aculate

aculate Well-Known Member

My stomach dropped when I read this news. I've been using winamp since early 1998, almost 16 years. It's the best music player ever created and now it will disappear on December 20th.
    Over the years, I've been playing around with other players but i always come back to winamp.
    It's a sad day, I'm sad. Winamp is my single most loved piece of software, a legend, and now it's gone, just like that!

Goodbye winamp. Thanks for the good times.

Wuebit, Luke F and Adam Howard like this.
  2. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

It has self uninstall? :confused:

3. SilverCircle

SilverCircle Well-Known Member

Had to correct this. Foobar >> Winamp. By light years :)

But yeah, back then when Winamp came out and fueled the MP3 hype, it was a pretty exciting piece of software. Until 2.x, then AOL took over and whenever AOL takes something over, it's going to be ruined. This rule is *almost* as reliable as the four laws of thermodynamics :)

Shyuan likes this.
  4. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

If you're an AOL user (yes, they're still out there), it just might. AOL has some history of having things they discontinue be removed upon upgrading their AOL software.

Of course if you're not an AOL user and not using the AOL software.... You have nothing to worry about.

5. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Dang! Now what software I suppose to use to playing music in Team Speak?

6. aculate

I get the irony, there's no self uninstall, but a software with no more updates, on the long run, it's no use to me...
    There's other options, like foobar or mediamonkey, but Winamp was my first :)

7. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Lately at home I've been using MediaMonkey more often as it goes a great job of keeping the collection organized but will likely keep on using WinAmp for now at the office. Guess I need to take a look at Foobar at some point.

8. aculate

foobar and mediamonkey are good options, but cannot compare it to winamp's out of the box UI

wa.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Luke F likes this.
  9. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very sad to see Winamp go, but I'll probably still be using it for years to come - the UI with minimal tweaks is much better than any other player I've tried and overall everything just works

10. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

LOL no. You just can no longer download it after Dec 20, nor will any of it's online services will work like shoutcast listings.

11. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Was kinda shocked at this when I read about it being shutdown a week or so ago. R.I.P Winamp :LOL: or at least in pieces. #excellentplayersbackintheday

12. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

I just use Winamp Classic, hasn't changed in forever.

13. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

You can have winamp without AOL and vice versa. :rolleyes:

Media monkey is great for large libraries, including a media server, but its mobile support is a ltitle lacking

14. Shyuan

Shyuan Well-Known Member

aculate likes this.
  15. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I liked Winamp, however I had issues when my whole library was added to it (Hundreds of thousands of songs) so I moved away from it. I think I was using Foobar or MediaMonkey (I tried both) for a while, but now I just use Google All Access as the majority of my music is already on there, and I can always add the major stuff that is missing.

16. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Thank you for signing the petition "AOL: Keep Winamp alive or let it go open source"

Signed
    with 11,560 supporters
    more 3,439 NEEDED

aculate and Shyuan like this.
  17. aculate

for what it's worth, i did signed it. Let it go open source!

Adam Howard likes this.
  18. aculate

My library contains 348 942 songs and it's ok. Foobar seems to be faster, Winamp and Media monkey have the same speed. As per Google, i'm from Canada and, believe or not, Google Music (full edition) still isn't available here... go figure!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  19. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

I switched years ago to foobar2000 from Winamp, although Winamp was an amazing piece of software. :)

20. Constantine17

Constantine17 New Member

WinAmp memory site here: thxwinamp.com

aculate likes this.