Goodbye forums, Hello Facebook groups!

tommydamic68

Is this finally the end of my forum? I have a few groups I run on Facebook and this feature just popped up today. after my forum started slowing down a few years ago, I created a group on the same niche as my forum, I'm thanking myself I did. You can now manage posts within your Facebook group. I think this may be the beginning of the end folks!

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 5.26.03 AM.webp

Many have left and this is probably why Facebook has added on topic features for:
  1. business profiles
  2. events
  3. classifieds
  4. forum features
And has been buying successful platforms for:
  1. media gallery (Instagram)
  2. chat & conversations (WhatsApp, Beigua(now Facebook Messenger))
  3. donations (Karma(now Facebook gifts))
  4. etc
They already have 2.2 billion user accounts to leverage. All they need to do is present useful features to bring people back. And they do so successfully.

Mark Zuckerberg said:
Facebook is now about community-building, and not just connecting with friends
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/22/...-mark-zuckerberg-new-mission-statement-groups

Just old people left on FB . For mostly every teenager Facebook is so lame.
And thank god, why would I want teenagers visiting my FB group or forum? What input could any teenager now days add to an intelligent conversation...Selfies?! You consider 25-44 old? Thats the bulk of my FB group members.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 5.02.41 AM.webp

What input could any teenager now days add to an intelligent conversation...

Well that's one way to ensure you don't get any teenagers wanting to interact with you :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, no one platform can be all things to all people. Our forum does well because people want to get away from the constant toxicity of Facebook. If you want a forum to be a viable alternative to social media, you need to foster a USP to draw people in, and for us that USP is our environment.

I think if all a forum offers is a place for people to talk about the same stuff they could be talking about on Facebook, then yes, they're going to stay on Facebook.

I wouldn't bother with facebook over a forum.
A forum is somewhere that you can post without the millions of people who don't like your two cents worth that you cop on some pages.
One of my pet hates about facebook is when you give your two cents worth on something that you have heard about or have an opinion on only to cop abuse from others who don't know your situation.

I see some old school mentality going on. It's like those that asked why anyone would bother with DVD over VHS. Or cd over cassette.

The fact is Facebook is much easier to promote on and handle. It's also free. You don't have the overhead of a website such as forum subscriptions, server costs, and it takes less time to maintain it, etc etc.

Facebook may not be for everyone, but if you ignore its relevance then long term you could face consequences of lack of adaption. Especially as it continues to grow and evolve. Because obviously it's starting to head into Reddit and forum territory. It's like ignoring that robber just because they are on the border of your fence but haven't yet fully crossed over.

If forum software doesn't find a way to keep innovating or adapting that will be troublesome. And if it integrates Facebook too much then many will wonder why not just go with Facebook.

It's a balancing act. But ignoring it's importance and relevance is dangerous.

Top Bottom