Goo.gl -- Google's URL Shortener

goo.gl is fantastic. i am not a big fan of bit.ly.

been using it since the day it was launched. and the control panel makes it more fun.

waiting for the API to launch so that i can request the developer of my favorite twitter client to integrate it along with other LSS. :)

well they are not offering an official bookmarklet or extension. there are several third party apps available though.

i use a chrome extension. very useful.

haha. yeah. in fact it shortens to http://goo.gl/OMrR for me!

google do not have any filters in place. and they allow you to create multiple shortlinks for the same URL.

and the shortlinks you get are different from the shortlinks i would get.

i understand that some users might want to keep an eye on stats for different short links for the same link. for example, i might use one on Facebook but the other on Twitter and compare their performance. but still!

basically, they are wasting a lot of four digit shortlinks which is just sad...

Hmmm, 16834 total clicks on all goo.gl short URLs pointing to this long URL. I wonder how many unique URL's that is.

actually this is not necessarily a waste of money or a social service.

they need to have access to data on the popular links on the social networking services.

they already have access to data on hits on their search engines.

but a lot of content is now shared on facebook and twitter.

facebook has access to all the outgoing clicks.
twitter would soon have access to all the outgoing clicks when they implement t.co throughout their network.

bit.ly currently is the most popular LSS on Twitter. and they process billions of clicks per day. that is pretty valuable data for any company especially google.

that is why i believe google entered the market too late. they should have acquired bit.ly sooner. launching goo.gl so late is well a big mistake because few people would use it right away.

the best thing they can do is to get into deals with all the popular twitter clients like tweetdeck and make goo.gl the default link shortening service in them.

that is why i believe google entered the market too late. they should have acquired bit.ly sooner. launching goo.gl so late is well a big mistake because few people would use it right away.

However, the more people talk about it the more it will be used. Especially with the analytics.

Top Bottom