Going from xenForo to vBulletin 4 Sucks

DRE

My first xenForo license went to a site that I used mainly for experimenting. Back then, I didn't know about xampp. When Brogan told me that it didn't cost anything to switch out my domain name in my license instead of buying another license I got excited and partnered up with someone to create a new site. The problem is that I have content on my 'experimental' site and even though I didn't really use it, people were still signing up to the website. I felt that I had a responsibility to those random strangers so I brought out my dusty vB4 license to create a brand new site from scratch with the same theme.

That same weekend Andreas from vBulletin released his XenForo to vBulletin importer. I thought 'Oh wow even more reason this is a good idea'. But before I could even begin an import, I ran into a purely cosmetic URL issue that bothers me to the core. I do not like my sites to have the .php extension at the end. I hate it because when telling someone face to face to go to thesite.com/forum most of them forget to add the .php at the end. The first thing they'll see is an error message. When novice or casual guests or members manually enter your forum's url they'll most likely forget to add .php at the end.

So after about three days of asking URLjet and vBulletin customer support I've learned that I can only have one url that has the .php extension taken off the url but the other parts of the site have to have it unless I buy something like vBSEO which I refuse to do because I've learned after working with my first vB4 forum that I could do most of what is done in that program with free addons and extra SEO work. The only thing I couldn't do was to strip .php off the end of certain sections.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I am officially spoiled off of xenForo's mod-rewrite friendly urls settings. I don't have to worry about the url structure of any section of any xenForo site I make because it's built in. All I have to do is know how to put it in my .htaccess and select mod-rewrite friendly urls in admincp options. I don't have to buy any extra addons to achieve this either.

I know this sounds like a minor cosmetic complaint but because of it, I'm gonna eventually buy another xenForo license instead of re-using my old vB4 license. I guess you can call it laziness but I really don't want to have to go through all the SEO hurdles I went through with vB4 again. I forgot how good I had it on xenForo. XenForo makes stuff so easy it's easy to forget.

VB4 has friendly URLs too iirc.
Yeah but in vB4 you can have yoursite.com/forum but your blogs will be yoursite.com/blog.php and your CMS will be yoursite.com/content.php

You can have yoursite.com for your CMS but your forum will be yoursite.com/forum.php and your blogs will be yoursite.com/blog.php

You can have yoursite.com/blog but your forum will be yoursite.com/forum.php and your CMS will be yoursite.com/content.php

Can you see where I'm going with this? You can only strip .php from one section at a time. It's not like that in xenForo.

I hate it because when telling someone face to face to go to thesite.com/forum most of them forget to add the .php at the end. The first thing they'll see is an error message. When novice or casual guests or members manually enter your forum's url they'll most likely forget to add .php at the end.
You actually tell people to go to /forum? Why not just tell them to go to your root?

Top Bottom