Gmail like Alert count in Browser tabs for XF 1.1 [Deleted]

Purchased :)

Would like to know how to get updates though.... I registered on your site (user name is, Socially Uncensored). The e-mail address is almost like the paypal e-mail. One is AOL and the other is Gmail, but same user name.

If could please set me up so I can download updates from your site... That would be nice. :)
I added you to the user group for the alerts add-on

It is a manual process for me, I need to go and individually add the person to the usergroup. Eventually I need something smarter to do this. My ideal scenario would have been that I could distribute them on XenForo itself (like an app store), but that seems to be out of scope at the moment.

I added you to the user group for the alerts add-on

It is a manual process for me, I need to go and individually add the person to the usergroup. Eventually I need something smarter to do this. My ideal scenario would have been that I could distribute them on XenForo itself (like an app store), but that seems to be out of scope at the moment.
No worries. It wasn't long of a wait and to be honest you seem to be online at night, which is good cause that's when I typically apply updates and new toys any ways (when most people are sleeping ;) )

2 suggestions on future versions.

1) Please undo this

The calls now make use of the Page Visibility API (https://developers.google.com/chrome/whitepapers/pagevisibility), meaning that the call will only be made if the tab is active. This prevents multiple calls to be fired if the user is browsing the site with several windows, and will prevent multiple update calls to be fired on the background when the user left the browser open and is not interacting with it.

I have a lot of power users, so they use tab browsing as much as they breath air .... I know... I'm one of them.

So the whole point of this add-on was so people who are in another browser tab, can see and know something is going on and they need to go back to that tab (my site).

2) Another color would be nice

Like a lot of people.... I was using the free alternative until it stop working for unknown reasons. It had a nice red color to bring attention to it's self.

2 suggestions on future versions.

1) Please undo this

I have a lot of power users, so they use tab browsing as much as they breath air .... I know... I'm one of them.

So the whole point of this add-on was so people who are in another browser tab, can see and know something is going on and they need to go back to that tab (my site).

2) Another color would be nice

Like a lot of people.... I was using the free alternative until it stop working for unknown reasons. It had a nice red color to bring attention to it's self.

Download version 1.3, it is the same thing minus the visibility API, so it might be just what you want
http://xfaddons.com/index.php?threads/unread-count-in-favicon-and-title-bar-1-3.51/

I realized it wasn't such a good idea, because the whole point was to update the alerts when the user is not looking, if the user has the tab open then they don't need this... however, I still think it can be improved. In a future version, I am deciding among the following

1) Doing the ajax call, and once the call comes back with new alerts, it stops doing new calls
2) Keeping it off if the page is not visible, but once the page is visible again, doing the ajax call immediately, which will update the alerts to the user. Problem with this approach is that if the user was just glancing at the title of the tab to see if it had the number next to it, that won't work

I might end up doing a combination of both. I have to say that the performance isn't even bad so this might be a little of over-optimizing it

Download version 1.3, it is the same thing minus the visibility API, so it might be just what you want
http://xfaddons.com/index.php?threads/unread-count-in-favicon-and-title-bar-1-3.51/

I realized it wasn't such a good idea, because the whole point was to update the alerts when the user is not looking, if the user has the tab open then they don't need this... however, I still think it can be improved. In a future version, I am deciding among the following

1) Doing the ajax call, and once the call comes back with new alerts, it stops doing new calls
2) Keeping it off if the page is not visible, but once the page is visible again, doing the ajax call immediately, which will update the alerts to the user. Problem with this approach is that if the user was just glancing at the title of the tab to see if it had the number next to it, that won't work

I might end up doing a combination of both. I have to say that the performance isn't even bad so this might be a little of over-optimizing it
I read that and got confused. :confused:

As long as it updates in the browser tab for my site, when I am viewing another browser tab on another site... That would be the goal.

FYI: I have 1.3 installed, but it's not auto refreshing. I have to manually refresh for it to display. :(

Sometimes users get an error about the server taking to long to respond.

Installed the newest version.
Refresh user alerts setted at 15 sec.
Unfortunately its not working for me and the people that are using the forums.
I followed the description any tips?

i uploaded it to root folder....i see in the ACP but its not working in my forum....i saw in earlier posts about having to add a favicon...how do i do that

Hi, I've purchased this from you quite awhile back. Just curious, whats the key differences between your add-on and this: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/live-updates.274/ ?

Thanks
This addon only counts alerts, not conversations. Life Updates counts both together in the counter.

Issue
On my installation, it works only when I have xenforotab active/open. When I switch to another tab like google search, it doesn't refresh anymore until I open xenforotab again. I also deactivated TaigaChat Pro who has also a similar feature, not for favicon, but for tabtext. Tested on Firefox and Chrome inlcuding cache/history clearing with my custom and xenforo default style.

So when I'm viewing a thread, the alert shows. When I go to the index page, it shows for 2 seconds and then disappears. It also doesn't show in my favicon.
Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 10.38.54 PM.webp

Not working at all for me! Installed it and tried it on two different browsers......

Something must be up here!

Not working at all for me! Installed it and tried it on two different browsers......

Something must be up here!
I had the same issue. Turns out you need to have the favicon.ico file in the root of your *forum* directory. I had it in the root folder, but not in my forum folder root. Once I uploaded my favicon.ico to the forum's root, it worked.

I'd love to see the alert number favicon have a red background with white text. The number right now is kind of hidden in my favicon.

Can you please email me the latest version of this mod, i need it - heres my invoice id: 4dbjdvjdaahuqi9c1tum5cpog00o8sw4s048kg8

I had the same issue. Turns out you need to have the favicon.ico file in the root of your *forum* directory. I had it in the root folder, but not in my forum folder root. Once I uploaded my favicon.ico to the forum's root, it worked.
Thank you! I had the same issue (simply wasn't working at all) and throwing in a favicon.ico to the xenforo root made mine work straight away. (y)

Top Bottom