1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate Gmail Like Alert Count In Browser Tabs?

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by TheBigK, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

One of our members suggested this -

xfalerts.JPG

The XF alert count should show up in browser tab. Is that possible?

Digital Doctor and ::abdo:: like this.
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Do you mean it would update itself as well ... like if you were on another tab, and received another alert ... the number on the xenforo tab would change ?

3. TheBigK

That I'm not sure. But I think it'd be a great idea. Our members say that they'd like to get notified when they're browsing other tabs.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

This has already been suggested a few times.

5. TheBigK

Strange. I searched but could't find a similar suggestion. Has this benen resolved or implemented already?

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

7. TheBigK

Yep, checked that already.

What I'm requesting is that the browser tab should show the alert count. It *may not* update real time.

Wait a minute o_O ! If we don't add real time update; then displaying count makes no sense. (n)

8. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

A basic implementation of this is actually quite simple (and very cool). Of course, there are a couple challenges.
    • The "number" working for any favicon, gmail uses a black font over a white font to compensate for that ..
    • The auto-refresh. XenForo kinds of piggybacks on the ajax requests right now, which is pretty cool, so ti could be implemented on that, or go more aggressive on do an AJAX poll.
    I did the basic implementation, here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/gmail-like-alert-count-in-browser-tabs.279/