1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving selected navigation tabs dropdown menus

A different navigation experience

1. Mike Creuzer

Mike Creuzer Well-Known Member

Audentio submitted a new resource:

Giving selected navigation tabs dropdown menus (version 1.0) - A different navigation experience

Read more about this resource...

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Well-Known Member

How can I add extra links to the submenu?

Eg forums that I have

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Does this work only for the forum tab Mike or does it also work for the others in the nav as well?

4. kenng

kenng Member

Very helpful! Thanks

5. Bonta-kun

Bonta-kun Member

6. Mike Creuzer

Hey there!

Well, the member dropdown, inbox, and alerts all already have dropdown menus. So, in this case, you would probably just want to delete or hide the tablinks. You can manually add the items to each dropdown menu too, but I don't recommend this. Removing is best. All of the links here show up under your username dropdown menu.

7. Mike Creuzer

Audentio updated Giving selected navigation tabs dropdown menus with a new update entry:

visitorTabs note

Read the rest of this update entry...

8. Bonta-kun

Bonta-kun Member

Can you tell me what I have to delete.

9. Mike Creuzer

In the navigation_visitor_tab template, find the div called tabLinks and just deleted it.

Alternatively,

Code:
    .visitorTabs .tabLinks {display: none}
    saves you from having to make that template edit, if you put this in EXTRA.css.

10. AndreaMarucci

AndreaMarucci Well-Known Member

Interesting article. I'm searching for something similar so I'll try to ask you.

You say "By default, XenForo chooses to display the current tab without a menu and displays the contents of that menu inside the 'tabLinks' class". Well I'm searching for a method to replicate this with a custom tab and custom submenu I've created. Have you any suggestion or tips to do that?

Thanks

11. Etchel

Etchel Member

Please update and also, I would like to ask how you can remove the SplitCtrl. I don't like the arrow popping when hovering the tab. Instead I want the tab to be doing the drop down quicklinks. how can we do that?

12. Mike Creuzer

There really shouldn't be any change between this and xenforo 1.2.

Also, this comes standard in UI.X.

13. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

How do I do this for the home tab? Under the navigation template for home all there is:

<!-- home -->
    <xen:if is="{$showHomeLink}">
    <li class="navTab home PopupClosed"><a href="{$homeLink}" class="navLink">{xen:phrase home}</a></li>
    </xen:if>

14. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

What's weird is if I make changes to the template regard the home section nothing changes..while if if change the forum section it will change...

15. Mike Creuzer

Well the home tab doesn't have a dropdown by default. So it wouldn't have anything to do.

16. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

That's weird...mine does.

It has:

Watched Threads
    Recent Activity
    What's New
    Help

17. Mike Creuzer

Isn't that what you would normally do for forums tab?

Anyways, the tutorial is the same process no matter what tab it is (for the most part).

18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

You're probably using xenPorta, which you'd follow this tutorial and make sure you apply it to the extra tabs area.

Mike Creuzer likes this.
  19. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

Yes I am using xenPorta, also Nodes as Tabs. Can you explain what I need to do in more detail?

20. Mike Creuzer

See the part in the tutorial that starts with:

Start there. Essentially what you're doing is adding/removing popup control classes, that's all.