Give User an Option to self-delete their Account

I hope this is never an option
it's my forum, I own the rights to all post
if someone wants their account deleted, they can leave
if they really want the profile change eg.. they used their real name, I'll rename the account for them.

Wow, I am surprised how Admins treat user's content as their own.
Please do make it an option within the Admin Control Panel since some countries (like Germany) demand that users can delete their profile. It is just a lot of extra work for admins to always delete profiles manually from the ACP.

Imagine you could not delete your facebook account. :-O

I see no point, as user's get pissed and delete their account, just to turn around and create another one when they come back. 90% of people saying they will never come back always do come back.

I hope to see in the future this option in the core of xenforo. We aren't like Facebook (what a fear!) because we respect our users and their rights. And we are proud of this attitude versus user's privacy.
It's a simple choice for admin. It's a great addition for user's rights.

I Wish an Option, that User can selfdelete there Account.
Closing an account would be a good option,
Actually a mechanism where a user can deactivate an account might not be a bad idea.
I vote 'yes' for this. Google, Yahoo and others does it.
Wow, I am surprised how Admins treat user's content as their own
I hope to see in the future
Please add a self delete functionality
Many people seem to like/want/need

FYI : Addon: Self Close Account

Hope that helps !!!

Wow, I am surprised how Admins treat user's content as their own.
If you write an article for a newspaper, and they publish it, then, unless otherwise specified by contract, you own the copyright to the article, but you DO NOT own the article in the newspaper. Once published, you are not allowed to delete it. It's the same law here - you only own the copyright to your posts, but you don't own the posts in the forum(not even yours). This really depends on the laws in your country or/and forum's Terms of Service(which you presumably agreed prior to registering) but generally that's the case. If you want more details, google AUTHOR, PUBLISHER and COPYRIGHT. As for the private data,say Name and Email- users can always change them anyway. That's why there isn't "delete account" option in most forums.

As for the German law - http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/tmg/__13.html , I don't speak german, but google translate says:
(4) The service provider shall take technical and organizational measures that
1. The user may terminate use of the service at any time.
If that's the correct translation, there's nothing here about deleting accounts. This can be acomplished by "deactivating" the user, rather than deleting - say, moving the user to a usergroup, where he's not able to login/receive messages/emails. But since he should be able to do that without the use of mod/admin, there might be a necessity for such an option for the forums in Germany.

Your link says the following...
Der Diensteanbieter hat durch technische und organisatorische Vorkehrungen sicherzustellen, dass die anfallenden personenbezogenen Daten über den Ablauf des Zugriffs oder der sonstigen Nutzung unmittelbar nach deren Beendigung gelöscht oder in den Fällen des Satzes 2 gesperrt werden,

Which says that the service provider is responsible to delete the user's account or disable the account if the account owner agrees to it.

A lot of my users get upset if I don't delete their account right away. Most of the time, I disable the user account first, and when he contacts me again, I delete his account.

Even the big players like facebook and google plus gives the user the option to delete (or at least give the user the impression that the account got deleted) their account.

In my opinion, every website should offer the option for a user to delete their account. It's my account, I should be able to delete it if I want to. However, my email, IP, etc. could be logged into say a past user log. Now I know you might think this is holding of valuable data - but say you have a user who joins, spams the crap out of your board, then deletes their account? Now what? You have no email, or IP - depending on your website's setup. Some people might say that's a bit daft if you also delete your posts when you delete your account, but that's why I said depending on your website's setup... I totally spit-balled that, so it might not make much sense to some.. But, I tried....

should not be implemented, so not good.
Why?

I said that a long time ago when it was still true, nice to see they made it easier (though I still don't believe they cleanse the servers of your data).

Did you register just to reply to that? :cautious:

If she did, well done Onimua for creating thought provoking posts encouraging new registrations ;)

I said that a long time ago when it was still true, nice to see they made it easier (though I still don't believe they cleanse the servers of your data).
Did you register just to reply to that? :cautious:

Does it even matter the reasons I registered? o.o

If she did, well done Onimua for creating thought provoking posts encouraging new registrations ;)
wat?

If you guys aren't joking, I am getting disapointed at this community.

I honestly don't see the need for this, since all a member would have to do is request you (the admin) delete their personal info for them. And then you'd do so. What's so difficult about that? I'm sure that for anyone to have a case against you that would stand up in court they'd have to have some kind of evidence that they requested you to delete their data, and that you received that request. I doubt a court would just accept their word for it. So I can't see how there's much legal risk for a forum admin by not having this feature, unless there's documented proof they were requested to delete a user's data and they simply refused to do it for some reason.

But if Xenforo were to implement such a feature, I suppose it would be easy enough, as long as members were not allowed to delete their topics (along with other user's posts) in the process. I wouldn't really be opposed to something like this, but again, I just don't see it as really being necessary. And I don't know, but it could possibly turn out to be a security risk, with someone finding a way to exploit the option to delete other users' accounts, so be careful what you wish for. ;)

EDIT: I'll just add too that, as I think has already been pointed out, all a member would have to do is change their email and delete whatever other optional info they've included in their user profile, and it serves pretty much the same function. I suppose changing the username could be a problem on some forums, but usernames are rarely (ever?) unique, so it's not like it could likely ever be used to pinpoint a specific individual with certainty, unless they're silly enough to use their real names as usernames. But I've been asked before by members to change their username, for whatever reason, and have always done so; and probably most admins would do the same for a member, as long as they think the reason given is a good one. (Using one's real name would probably be considered by most admins a good reason to want to change it!)

Last edited:
In the world of the interwebs, nothing is ever fully deleted - especially when said content has existed for months. Granted, you can make things point to dead ends in search results, but you can usually always get information from search results for things that no longer exist. But either way, a user (in my opinion) should always have the option to delete their own account.

Top Bottom