Give User an Option to self-delete their Account

In the world of the interwebs, nothing is ever fully deleted - especially when said content has existed for months. Granted, you can make things point to dead ends in search results, but you can usually always get information from search results for things that no longer exist. But either way, a user (in my opinion) should always have the option to delete their own account.

Yes, and all that information will likely find a nice permanent home here:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

I honestly don't see the need for this, since all a member would have to do is request you (the admin) delete their personal info for them. And then you'd do so. What's so difficult about that?

The problem is that some admins ignore our requests and they won't do it.
It's happening to me right now.

The problem is that some admins ignore our requests and they won't do it.
It's happening to me right now.

Well, without knowing any of the specifics, such as in what way did you inform the admin, can you be sure he or she has received the request, have they replied in any way, how long have you given them to reply (maybe they're on vacation), etc., it's difficult to form much of an opinion of the matter. But if you know for a fact that they've read your request and have ignored it over a long period of time, that is regrettable. I can't imagine why anyone would want to keep you - no offense! - if you really wanted to go. If I were the admin, I'd delete you in heart-beat, and say too damn bad if you later regretted it. Now, if you had posted a lot of topics and had insisted they be deleted, along with the posts of all the other people who responded to those topics, I'd probably refuse you too, but that's a different story.

Still, unless you can't change your username and it's important to you not to have your username on the forum for whatever reason, then you should simply change your email to one you don't actually use for anything (create one in two minutes) and delete all the other optional information you added, such as FB and Twitter account info, etc., it accomplishes much the same thing. If the username is an issue, in the future I'd suggest asking for a username change before asking for an account deletion, since I suppose some admins, especially if they're kids or just immature adults, would be more amenable to helping you with something like that, whereas an account deletion request could possibly be an offense to their pride or something. Who knows. Maybe you could still get them to do that now, change your username, that is, and then you could do the rest on your own. Tell them you don't really want to leave their wonderful, one of a kind site, you were just worried about your username being out there because you've acquired a stalker and don't want to possibly be tracked down by this person. ;)

Anyway, again, I'm not necessarily against having the option, I'm just not sure how much of a priority it is for most users now. I haven't personally used a forum platform that allows users to do this on their own, so it wouldn't seem to be that much in demand, but I guess the Xenforo guys can be the first to do it if they want.

Well, without knowing any of the specifics, such as in what way did you inform the admin, can you be sure he or she has received the request, have they replied in any way, how long have you given them to reply (maybe they're on vacation), etc., it's difficult to form much of an opinion of the matter. But if you know for a fact that they've read your request and have ignored it over a long period of time, that is regrettable. I can't imagine why anyone would want to keep you - no offense! - if you really wanted to go. If I were the admin, I'd delete you in heart-beat, and say too damn bad if you later regretted it. Now, if you had posted a lot of topics and had insisted they be deleted, along with the posts of all the other people who responded to those topics, I'd probably refuse you too, but that's a different story.
It's not the case. They SIMPLY refuse to delete it for whatever reasons.

MtD0dn1.png

I will explain my case. This is a community forums for a game I used to play.
It was fun at first, but it turned out to be a really bad community that I slowly started to hate.
They started blaming me for stuff I never did, that I could never prove. But I didn't really care, not like I care much, but it's still annoying.
And it's not I care about my username or anything. Not even the email I used to make the account.
I want to delete my account because I feel that the community here is far too rude and they all follow each other to silly conclusions, this is something I don't want to be a part of.
Another thing is that I don't play the game for a over a year, nor do I plan to again - meaning I will not use their services anymore, not the game either.
I simply dont want to own an account in a forum I wont use or find interesting anymore.

So is there a way to ask anyone from the administrator forums to do it or something?
Thank you.

@Meowys

Hello. I think I've covered all possible responses I could give you already, above. As I said, I also would likely refuse to delete your topics, if I thought they contributed something useful to the forum, and also if it meant deleting other users' posts in the process, because obviously it would affect those other users' post counts, and it could affect usergroups if I had set up usergroups based on post counts. It's not clear whether you asked for that or not, but I'm throwing that out there in case you did.

But if it comes to them simply refusing to delete your account, then I can only speculate as I did above that the admins are possibly not the most mature bunch - which seems to jibe with what you're saying about them - and just don't want to give you the satisfaction. In which case, if you're in a country that doesn't allow you any legal recourse (which would likely be expensive anyway), I'd suggest you do as I have recommended above, since there's really nothing else you can do.

Not sure what you mean by asking the administrator forums..? I assume you've already made your request to that forum's admins (says so in the pic), but maybe there's a "super" admin there of some kind above them? If so, that's who you should be making the requests to, not anyone lower on the totem pole - and a pm is always better than posting on the public boards. But if it's a Xenforo board and you're asking about the possibility of someone here doing something about it, then no, that's not possible.

Good luck!

Last edited:
@MeowysBut if it comes to them simply refusing to delete your account, then I can only speculate as I did above that the admins are possibly not the most mature bunch - which seems to jibe with what you're saying about them - and just don't want to give you the satisfaction.
You are exactly correct here.

I don't mind my topics or posts, I just want the account deleted.

I was asking if there is someone who rules all Xenforo boards and could delete the account like that, because I know a bunch of forums that works like that.
If no, doesn't really worth my time asking him anymore. They are indeed really immature.

Thanks for your responses though.
Have a good day. :)

You are exactly correct here.

I don't mind my topics or posts, I just want the account deleted.

I was asking if there is someone who rules all Xenforo boards and could delete the account like that, because I know a bunch of forums that works like that.
If no, doesn't really worth my time asking him anymore. They are indeed really immature.

Thanks for your responses though.
Have a good day. :)

I personally don't know of any forum platforms that work like that, and I doubt anyone would pay for a platform that did. It would mean they had some kind of back-door access, which would turn most people away. That would be a much bigger and more serious privacy invasion than a user not being able to delete his own account. ;)

But you're welcome. Take care.

Its required by Spanish law, i think that is a requirement of all european countries. Can self-delete your own account

I know that it's a law that individuals have a right to force sites to delete personal data about them, but I haven't seen anywhere they have the right to "self-delete." Maybe this is something specific to Spain? I don't really know, I'm not that well versed on the matter.

Your situation and this discussion has nothing to do with this suggestion.

Please take the discussion elsewhere to stop this thread being completely derailed.

If people want it bad enough, they should code it themselves or pay someone to code it for them. I personally would like the feature to be in XenForo's core, but it seems to be 50-50 between the community as to those who do and don't want it.

The user doesn't always have the right to delete his account.. Sometimes this can extremely harm the community just because he wants to make a revenge.

It already exists. The people here want it adding to the core.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-self-delete.1454/
Install add-on, problem solved. I've ranted and begged for this feature to be in the core of any online script and always get the same generic answer. I don't see how there's cons; yeah threads and post counts might be affected, but you're cheating your counts having a "dead" user included in this counts.

Maybe just deactivate their account and change all their posts to "Guest" posts? I don't know, I've stopped caring lol

Yes, you can always just do the latter, or attribute the posts to someone else. That's why I don't see any pressing need for this feature if you're just looking to get rid of "dead" users. Besides, it doesn't just affect the dead user's counts, but the counts of every other member who participated in those threads. But like you said, install addon, problem solved. ;)

I realize it's not that cut-and-dry, but some of the discussion points people bring up (not referring to anyone here) are just stupid. If I want to delete my account, I should be able to (in my opinion)

Yeah, like I've said in a previous post, I personally don't have a problem with that, as long as admins have the option to disallow thread deletions in the process.

I think it's just a matter of difference in opinion, really. Maybe add it to the core but have the option to disable it, that'd solve everything. Those that want legitimate users can have them, and those who don't want counts possibly getting screwed up can disable it. That makes sense in my head anyways

lol, well, I think you're coloring things with a certain bias again with words like "those that want legitimate users" - which seems to imply something not quite laudable about those who'd choose not to use it or put limits on it - but okay, again, I personally wouldn't be opposed to the feature if admins have full control over it.

Top Bottom