Give User an Option to self-delete their Account

Aw I saw self- and thought it would follow by destruct :(
I don't think it's a good idea though, as soon as a person knows that they can simply go on your forum, spam and cause mass histaria, and just delete their account with zero consequences, most people would disable it.
Actually I like this idea, then I can go around people's forum causing shenanigans :X3:

Aw I saw self- and thought it would follow by destruct :(
I don't think it's a good idea though, as soon as a person knows that they can simply go on your forum, spam and cause mass histaria, and just delete their account with zero consequences, most people would disable it.
Actually I like this idea, then I can go around people's forum causing shenanigans :X3:
You just spam clean those users prior to deletion.

Any option to "self-delete" their account should probably be put into a delete queue and admin approves the request. That way if any problematic users do delete their account after causing disruption via posts you can just delete their posts then approve the account deletion request.

You could also ban their IP once you pick up on their activity. I actually really like James' idea of a deletion queue, this way it'd also prevent people from creating and deleting accounts immediately. Or it could also be done where you can only delete your account after X amount of posts, days of activity, etc

Or it could also be done where you can only delete your account after X amount of posts, days of activity, etc
I'd argue that you want it the other way around. Only people that haven't achieved X posts, days of activity, likes.

You don't want to make people post more in order to delete their account. Ideally, only those who post less (less active, less useful, less influential) can delete their account. I wouldn't want a 200k poster who'd posted lots of helpful information to turn around one day and delete their account. I'd give them a week to mull it over and then if they don't wish to return, then delete.

I'd argue that you want it the other way around. Only people that haven't achieved X posts, days of activity, likes.

You don't want to make people post more in order to delete their account. Ideally, only those who post less (less active, less useful, less influential) can delete their account. I wouldn't want a 200k poster who'd posted lots of helpful information to turn around one day and delete their account. I'd give them a week to mull it over and then if they don't wish to return, then delete.
I was merely coming up with suggestions to try and help and keep the discussion civil and logical, instead of "Shut up, you're wrong, I want this!" :P

I'm not going to be a cater-all thinker here because I'm sure there's plenty of things I'd miss, I'm just trying to think of some ideas that might help other people who might be on the fence. Unfortunately, I'm not a license holder. If I was though, I'd definitely make the add-on myself (yes I know that's irrelevant here, people want it in the core).

Eh, pretty sure it's not. It's required in some countries that a user's data be deleted upon request, but not that they be able to do it themselves.
Did quick search. You maybe right.

There was so much misinformation out that on X policy / law from Y county, that sometimes it's hard to weed through it.

Last edited:
Look at this:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-2-to-xenforo-1-2-importer-error.56494/
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...in-xenforo-1-2-to-xenforo-1-2-importer.58077/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf-to-xf-import-conversations.56676/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf-to-xf-import-profile-posts.56677/

My database is screwed up from deleting accounts. Nowadays I just ignore their requests.

1382028_1428020670754193_460634886_n.jpg

People who "rage quit" usually cause more problems then they are worth.
Rage quitters are awesome. Love watching situations explode over the stupidest crap.

Just ban them for about 30 days. They usually learn their lesson.

if they quit, they quit... usually they come back, but we don't delete their account or posts or anything else.
Sometimes when people are bent on self-destruction it's best just to help them out the door with no return ticket.
if they have left due to other members then that's not your fault and there's really nothing to do about it really, it's sad to see all members go but at the end of the day it's their decision and they decided to leave, you shouldn't worry about things like that, in some cases they return and all is well.
I have a short time limit for them to delete something. I don't want them deleting my content.

James
Same... we allow users 8 hours to edit their posts.
I am not if this is sure, but this is why big boards do not delete accounts, I have heard
them mention that it can cause havoc, also, lets say you have a member that has 5k
posts, do you really want to let those posts slip out the door? once a user
is deleted, then so will all the posts that the member created along the way....

ah, now i read the end of your sentence, delete member, but not the posts.
I think it would just be just as easy to ban the user instead...

+1 for this suggestion. I however would like to see a self delete with various options such as temporary deactivation (like in Facebook), a timer of say 15 or 30 days before physically removing the account from the database, renaming self deleted usernames to something else to remove all traces of the user. Basically a self delete facility with lots of advanced options.

Threads with a large number of likes will bubble up to the top and give us things to focus on. However, please keep in mind that a highly-liked suggestion is not guaranteed to be implemented. There may be technical reasons to not do it or it may not fit in with the goals for the product.

I've read that Paul, but when I see that there are suggestions with great interest and than new features not reflette suggestions, I have some questions.

Suggestions are they useful?
Does one really takes into account suggestions?

Big suggestion and still not added. (40 likes)I've read that Paul, but when I see that there are suggestions with great interest and than new features not reflette suggestions, I have some questions.

Suggestions are they useful?
Does one really takes into account suggestions?

Despite having 40 likes (which isn't really a lot of people, out of thousands of license holders), my personal opinion is that this feature would not get a lot of use from end-users. Why? Because in most cases the majority of users are not going to want to just delete their username and other personal details, most or all of which can already be changed so that they will not lead to the real you, or to whatever other online accounts you're worried about them linking to. The main reason most users would probably want this feature is so that they could delete all of their threads/posts. But if this feature ever is implemented in XF, admins will have to be able to set permissions to allow or disallow a user to delete all of his posts when deleting his account information, and I just don't see a lot of admins allowing this. Which means that the end-user would then have to request a site-owner/admin to delete all of his posts, which is something they can already do. Anyway, that's just my personal opinion, but perhaps Kier and Mike have reasoned much the same themselves, which might be why you want see this implemented any time soon, if ever. Again, this is just my opinion, no reason for anyone to take up arms. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom