Give User an Option to self-delete their Account

Once again, no, it's not a law that users have to be able to delete their own data.

Well, here in Brazil we have a law that some services have to put the option "Cancel/Delete Service" in plain sight (or first menu, in case of automated call center), with no need to interation with a human operator. Our forum is part of that list of services? Problably not, but anyway better safe...

To each country, it's own pool of laws. XF should complain to all of them? Nope, but would be nice to have this option in the AdminCP

I don't claim to be a legal expert, but I am reasonably sure that even in Brazil the law does not require that sites have an option for users to be able to delete their own data. They have a right to request their information be deleted from a database, but that is not the same thing as being able to personally delete that data themselves. See here for an overview, last updated July 2014.

Consumers are entitled to request [emphasis mine] the exclusion of their personal data from databases, unless the relevant database is a credit protection database

I think this should be included as an option. The cookies message is included as an option so why not this. This feature would allow much easier compliance. It could be implemented with the cron system to actually remove or rather 'deactivate' the account in three days or whatever thus giving a grace period. It could even be a user state much like 'email invalid (bounced)' it could be 'deactivated by user'.

I get this has been beaten to death, but I'd still like to see it implemented somehow. Are all the suggestions considered that bad that a decision can't be made on one of them?

I will anonymise a users account & remove personal account detail but I will not remove voluntarily posted content unless it contains personal info or pictures. That will be removed if link to such posts is supplied. That was in reaction to 'legal' threats & I think our policy complies with EU requirements, driven by Germany in this case.

I was initially against this, but with the right workflow (moderation approval queue) it could save time.

It could be implemented with the cron system to actually remove or rather 'deactivate' the account in three days or whatever thus giving a grace period. It could even be a user state much like 'email invalid (bounced)' it could be 'deactivated by user'.

^ This! :)

I think this suggestion is very important, especially with the GDRP but it needs to be configurable by the admin.

We are legally obliged to delete EU user accounts, but also need to comply with laws against abuse for which we need to store & log data. If we do not counter abuse then we risk millions in fines. With more laws underway.
We cannot have trolls, spammers, warned members, blacklisted accounts, members with duplicate accounts, delete their accounts to cover their tracks. It would require criteria to define which members can delete their account without issue.

We also need to cater to members who cool down after rage quitting. So they can turn their account back on. There needs to be a grace period.

It would be nice to be able to configure what deletion will entail. i.e. what happens to the account name, content and the audit trail.

As busy as our forum is, we get maybe only one delete request per month, if that. It's usually "rage quitting."

What I think would be a nice idea is to soft delete accounts--in other words, inactivate them and otherwise make them invisible to the public, but easily undeleted by staff.

This would tie in perfectly with the old (Tachy goes to) Coventry feature we've been wanting. It was a global ignore list, where a person's posts would show up to nobody but themselves. We used it in rare cases when a member needed their posts deleted for legitimate reasons. Again it does not delete their posts, but makes them invisible to everyone.

These two would work well together, I feel. :)

To prevent abuse of such self deletion function we would need criteria. For example: some members want to delete their account because they received too many warnings, negative ratings, reports against the user, are ignored by hundreds of members, or other abusive traits. We have a duty to protect the community against abuse and cannot allow abusive members to abuse such function to start afresh.

Lets move this ten year old suggestion back into the picture.

"Self Delete" should be a core option. It would also be nice to eliminate dealing with contact form and email requests (in some cases both from the same person) asking for what they should be able to do themselves at any time.

I agree Liam W / Ozzy's Self Delete is a great option at this time until it is unavailable or unsupported. Such an important member ability/option should just be in the core.

Top Bottom