Give User an Option to self-delete their Account

If an administrator can forbid a member to edit posts after a period of time, why would they let them delete their posts? I think I'd like the ability for the user to request their account to be suspended, and then:
1) Remove all IP's from their posts and other information
2) Change their userid to something from the Captain Underpants name generator: http://www.ultsoftware.com/NameGen.html, and put the userid in a usergroup similar to a banned usergroup.
1) Remove their email address from their account, which would prevent them from requesting a new password and logging back in, but allowing them to re-register it with a different user name.

If an administrator can forbid a member to edit posts after a period of time, why would they let them delete their posts? I think I'd like the ability for the user to request their account to be suspended, and then:
2) Change their userid to something from the Captain Underpants name generator: http://www.ultsoftware.com/NameGen.html, and put the userid in a usergroup similar to a banned usergroup.
1) Remove their email address from their account, which would prevent them from requesting a new password and logging back in, but allowing them to re-register it with a different user name.
This has nothing to do with content removal, only private information.

That seems like an awful lot to have to do to me. Unless, of course, it was automatic in the admin panel when you deleted the account.

Yes it is an awful lot to do, but I think at a minimum, that's what the system would have to do, whether it was a feature or an add-on. Its what I do on my current forums (vB and SMF), but SQL can take care of most of it.

Yes it is an awful lot to do, but I think at a minimum, that's what the system would have to do, whether it was a feature or an add-on. Its what I do on my current forums (vB and SMF), but SQL can take care of most of it.

I'll do those things too but only when I'm banning someone from the forum. Usually when most people request their account to be deleted they are not interested in coming back, of course you get those who come back and troll occasionally.

I can´t see why this should be better than let the users delete their account.

1. The IPs, information and eMail-adress are deleted when the user deletes his account, without any further work for the admin.
2. In most Forums with a self-delete function the name will be changed to "guest" or any other name the admin picked. Names in quotes aren´t changed in either way.

So you basicly are doing all the work that this function would do manualy...

There is a large forum I do belong to where you can deactivate your own account. But you can not delete your posts. What remains besides your posts is "Deactivated Member" but the threads remain intact. So  it does work. And most of the members are adults not kids.

I think what you are looking for is something like this:
ObesityHelp.png

Liz

There is a large forum I do belong to where you can deactivate your own account. But you can not delete your posts. What remains besides your posts is "Deactivated Member" but the threads remain intact. So it does work. And most of the members are adults not kids.

Liz
I'd prefer a deactivate option. Letting users delete accounts leaves holes in your user listing (userids and such) and it can become quite annoying for us pedantic administrators :P

Again, this doesn't have anything to do with the request, as the request is to abide by a law in Germany.

They're required to allow the ability to delete an account, or they have to do so themselves. Deactivating doesn't fit the scope of the law whatsoever. 

Again, this doesn't have anything to do with the request, as the request is to abide by a law in Germany.

They're required to allow the ability to delete an account, or they have to do so themselves. Deactivating doesn't fit the scope of the law whatsoever.
That's true... but this would be another option on the ACP side of things I guess. Whether the functionality deletes/deactivates should be at the discretion of the admin.

Poor, poor idea. This should NEVER be allowed.
Never is a strong word. I agree that this isn't generally useful, but this could be very useful to specific sites in specific situations. Just because your opinion is that this is a bad idea doesn't mean it should NEVER be allowed. :)

Never is a strong word. I agree that this isn't generally useful, but this could be very useful to specific sites in specific situations. Just because your opinion is that this is a bad idea doesn't mean it should NEVER be allowed. :)
A friend of mine said Never say Never and Never say Always, LOL

Liz 

as said before, this is even required by law in certain countries.

besides this, it is also a matter of trust:
I have been told by users that they just delete their account in order to see if the website is trustful with regards to their user-data. Once they saw it was possible to delete their own account, they signed-up again and where happy to use the website.

as said before, this is even required by law in certain countries.

besides this, it is also a matter of trust:
I have been told by users that they just delete their account in order to see if the website is trustful with regards to their user-data. Once they saw it was possible to delete their own account, they signed-up again and where happy to use the website.

I'm sorry but that is absolutely ludicrous! That sounds like something a 10 year old would do. I doubt many people do that at all. Most if they delete their account are not looking to sign up again. If they need to know what actions are taken for privacy they can simply read the privacy page or just plain ask.

Top Bottom