Give User an Option to self-delete their Account

Sorry but German law has no bearing on anything if the site is not in Germany. Having users be allowed to delete their own accounts is an absolute nightmare. SMF has this function built in but its left to the admin if they want to allow it. So possibly that is what you would need/mean instead of forcing the rest of the world to laws that do not pertain to us.

Has anyone said that? As you can read in all pro posts "the rest of the world" shouldn´t be forced. Everyone is pro the on/off button in the admincp. All what the pro´s request for is the build-in option and this with 4 alternatives:
  1. delete account only (name change to guest, full delete)
  2. delete account with all postings (name change to guest, full delete of account and postings)
  3. soft-delete/inactive (name change to guest, no delete of account data)
  4. soft-delete/inactive (no delete of account data, soft delete of postings)
Or have I missed something ?

Its also stated in the thread (Which you must have missed, as I don't think you read through), that there should be an on/off option.

Theres a large Germany population planning to adopt XenForo; catering to them would be in the best interests, and supplying a simple on/off function which provides an opt-out for everyone who it doesn't apply to (Or who doesn't want to use it), keeping everyone happy.

Yes actually I did see that in the earlier posts. Not trying to offend you and anyone who is German. Just simply stating that I would not use it and as you have most likely noticed in most of the posts most all of the others posted would be opposed to it. There maybe large populations from other countries planning on also using this software they cannot cater to one culture/country and expect everyone else to just follow suit and be happy with it. I imagine they will look at all points of view before making any final decisions on what goes into the software and what does not. This particular option does not seem to be increasingly popular, so there may not be as many German buyers as you think there are. For the most part it is hard to please everyone and when you try something breaks down somewhere, so I imagine they will test these things and then make decisions based on functionality rather than what country you are from and what your laws are.

Has anyone said that? As you can read in all pro posts "the rest of the world" shouldn´t be forced. Everyone is pro the on/off button in the admincp. All what the pro´s request for is the be build-in option and this with 4 alternatives:
  1. delete account only (name change to guest, full delete)
  2. delete account with all postings (name change to guest, full delete of account and postings)
  3. soft-delete/inactive (name change to guest, no delete of account data)
  4. soft-delete/inactive (no delete of account data, soft delete of postings)
Or have I missed something ?

No you are correct in the features that were named and the poster above you was going on about German law.

Yes actually I did see that in the earlier posts. Not trying to offend you and anyone who is German. Just simply stating that I would not use it and as you have most likely noticed in most of the posts most all of the others posted would be opposed to it. There maybe large populations from other countries planning on also using this software they cannot cater to one culture/country and expect everyone else to just follow suit and be happy with it. I imagine they will look at all points of view before making any final decisions on what goes into the software and what does not. This particular option does not seem to be increasingly popular, so there may not be as many German buyers as you think there are. For the most part it is hard to please everyone and when you try something breaks down somewhere, so I imagine they will test these things and then make decisions based on functionality rather than what country you are from and what your laws are.
Its more then a single country; Germany is just the one thats more well known.

Also, as stated in my edit, there are other countries beginning to adopt similar practices.

This would fall under the same category of COPPA; its a requirement to abide by a law of a country, but it should be allowed to be turned on and off. 

Also, as stated in my edit, there are other countries beginning to adopt similar practices.

This would fall under the same category of COPPA; its a requirement to abide by a law of a country, but it should be allowed to be turned on and off.

I have no problem with it being allowed to be turned off or on. :D I can see where it is useful but I also see where it could be a problem if members abuse it and its not set up to only take out the account and not the content.

I have no problem with it being allowed to be turned off or on. :D I can see where it is useful but I also see where it could be a problem if members abuse it and its not set up to only take out the account and not the content.

Don´t you think an admin should be able to take care about that ;) ?

I Like this request.

I believe we should all have an option to delete our own account.

Requirements:
  • Make it an admin option.
  • Provide a history of those who delete their account.
  • Do not remove content - replace poster's name with Anonymous or even Guest.
  • Have option to disallow the use of the username for a certain period of time.

Perfect list!! Agree!

I argued this over at VB. But to add to the argument here...it's not just about certain countries needing this (which is the most important part of the argument IMHO). We need this for our business' online community located in the US. It's tiresome when customers come in or email asking to be deleted for personal reasons. Let them do it themselves already! I have enough to do!

Please add my vote in....and have a lovely weekend*

I would be interested to know which countries require immediate and automatic deletion of accounts, I suspect none, therefore there is no requirement for this feature, just for the admin to action any requests in a timely manner.

I would be interested to know which countries require immediate and automatic deletion of accounts, I suspect none, therefore there is no requirement for this feature, just for the admin to action any requests in a timely manner.
well.. there are actually... as well as the fact that many countries require the possibility for the user to view ALL info that is available about him/her, and to edit/change/remove the info as he/she feels necessary... it's a part of the privacy law in many countries...

well.. there are actually... as well as the fact that many countries require the possibility for the user to view ALL info that is available about him/her, and to edit/change/remove the info as he/she feels necessary... it's a part of the privacy law in many countries...

I still find it hard to believe that the requirement under law is for instant access to info and instant deletion of info. Source?

I still find it hard to believe that the requirement under law is for instant access to info and instant deletion of info. Source?

All of the German administrators on this site must be lying then.

This has been in the news -for years-; it only affects Germany and some other countries, however with all the issues arising from privacy issues around the Internet, there has been tentative proposals on stricter privacy requirements. 

Honestly they could probably put it into a free translator and get the basic gist but you will find most likely a lot of people would not do that. :(
I'm sure they'd do so, if they felt the need to.

Its a known law, theres actually no reason it should be requested to be proven, as its been in the news consistently for the last few years. 

I believe you about the laws, each country is different and has their own laws. Some are more strict than others. What maybe a law in Germany may not be a law here in the states, so its not a surprise that other countries have different laws regarding this. Actually i have no idea what the law is here in the states but I do not foresee myself being fined or go to jail or anything drastic if I do not delete someone's account as quick as they want. Where you are there maybe more serious consequences than here. A lot of people most likely respond to this particular possibility for an add-on due to where they live and what laws they have to follow. So its not a wonder that we all have different opinions about it.

Fully support this idea, I myself have been victim to a Nazi Admin who refused to remove my account out of sheer spite despite many requests, it is in fact still there after 8 years, ironically banned though... We all bag out FB for not allowing full removal of your account.. imho it is exactly the same with forums, we are obliged to remove a member if they wish it.. I have never understood the viewpoint that thinks you as an Admin OWN their information or data.. you do NOT.

Top Bottom