Give User an Option to self-delete their Account

Do the posts need to be commingled with other peoples posts? For example, if 10 people wanted their account deleted, do they all need to have the same name such as 'Guest'?

The name "Guest" is the default author (in the vBulletin software) for userposts when the original author becomes deleted.

The name "Guest" is the default author (in the vBulletin software) for userposts when the original author becomes deleted.
I understand. Is that required? All deleted members have the same name as each other so the 'who posted what' in indistinguishable to comply with German law? Or can there be Guest111, Guest182, Guest774?

Uh, got you. Everything what is in the database and connected with your account, ie the profile pic, name, email and everything you filled in there. That doesnt include IP`s in their postings cause we have to keep them seperated in each and every post (another german law *rolleyes*) so the original author can be tracked down if needed.
Ok, based on what is in the other posts, could this work from a German law point of view?
  • Change user name to Guest129
  • Change email address to a made up email address (if the software needs an email address of some type to operate)
  • Change to something random or delete as applicable (xf won't work well without some type of avatar) : avatar, signature line, custom profile fields, and other things personal they have filled out on registration.
?

Leave and not Login are not the Same as Delete the Account :)
German law requires me to remove any personal information from the database upon request and a request to delete an user account is just that.
It just makes the process easier, the User don´t mail the Admin and Wait because the Account is delete.
I didn't read the entire thread, so if anyone else suggested the same things I'm about to suggest, please forgive the repeated info. (Edit: okay I see that there is some discussion in this regard, but I'll let my post stand :p )

When someone wants their account deleted on my forums, I simply change their username to Guest001 (incremeneting the number for each one who leaves) , change their email to a non-existent addy on my domain, and enter a random string of characters for their password. That takes care of any database info, and leaves nothing identifiable about the person who left.

The upside to doing things that way is you don't disrupt the flow of topics, since the person's posts remain intact; only the name has changed.

Ok, based on what is in the other posts, could this work from a German law point of view?
  • Change user name to Guest129
Sure.
Change email address to a made up email address (if the software needs an email address of some type to operate)
If that means a part of the origin ist still present in the database : no. In all other cases, yes.

Change to something random or delete as applicable (xf won't work well without some type of avatar) : avatar, signature line, custom profile fields, and other things personal they have filled out on registration.
Same as above. If that means a part of the origin is still present in the database: no. In all other cases, yes.

When someone wants their account deleted on my forums, I simply change their username to Guest001 (incremeneting the number for each one who leaves) , change their email to a non-existent addy on my domain, and enter a random string of characters for their password. That takes care of any database info, and leaves nothing identifiable about the person who left.
The upside to doing things that way is you don't disrupt the flow of topics, since the person's posts remain intact; only the name has changed.
If this meets the criteria for German Law to be satisfied, then the user themselves can wipe out all personal data except for the password and username (using a vb type viewpoint), correct? Would the user themselves putting in a random password work so the only thing left to do is a name change which the admin (normally) needs to do?

(I really am trying to understand)

Far as I'm concerned, the only true personal information is the person's email address. A username does not truly identify anyone. For example, I have clue where you live, where you work, or anything else about you. I can't very well call the phone operator and ask where Abomination lives, right? I can't harrass you or endanger your family by researching Abomination. And you would have a slightly difficult time finding me through my username (though a little easier because it's the name of my business).

So, deleting an account really is pointless. At the least, maybe XenForo could have an admin option that "hides" accounts. Click a button or two, and the relevant info is changed in the database, while preserving all the posts.

If this meets the criteria for German Law to be satisfied, then the user themselves can wipe out all personal data except for the password and username (using a vb type viewpoint), correct?
(I really am trying to understand)

No. It´s imperative that the process has to be done as
  1. a request per email, fax, letter to the site owner
  2. a function that deletes the acoount and all data in the same easy manner as the registration took place.
But what you suggest is not practicable. Beside the fact that most forums contain hidden profile fields which are filled in while registration and/or not alterable thru the user himself, this is a hell of work for every admin cause you have to change the name manual for everyone. Nope, I intend to spent my time more efficieent ;)

Far as I'm concerned, the only true personal information is the person's email address. A username does not truly identify anyone. For example, I have clue where you live, where you work, or anything else about you. I can't very well call the phone operator and ask where Abomination lives, right? I can't harrass you or endanger your family by researching Abomination. And you would have a slightly difficult time finding me through my username (though a little easier because it's the name of my business).

You´ld wonder how many users join my forums with their real names.. or Nicknames which are used in their daily live too. It´s really not hard to identify a person, ie a fellow worker, with a known nickname writing about circumstances happend in his company.

Uh, got you. Everything what is in the database and connected with your account, ie the profile pic, name, email and everything you filled in there. That doesnt include IP`s in their postings cause we have to keep them seperated in each and every post (another german law *rolleyes*) so the original author can be tracked down if needed.

Hey Marv - out of curiosity, say you delete a member's account according to the rule of German law and in the process change his username to Guest 123 so that any posts he had made are now attributed to Guest 123. What about any posts of his that were quoted by other users prior to his deletion - they would still use the original username. Can you allow them to remain as is or do you have to manually find them and change them?

Hey Marv - out of curiosity, say you delete a member's account according to the rule of German law and in the process change his username to Guest 123 so that any posts he had made are now attributed to Guest 123. What about any posts of his that were quoted by other users prior to his deletion - they would still use the original username. Can you allow them to remain as is or do you have to manually find them and change them?

If you are talking about the way ho vBulletin has handled that, your going wrong. The usernames become changed in the quotes as well.

No. It´s imperative that the process has to be done as
  1. a request per email, fax, letter to the site owner
  2. a function that deletes the acoount and all data in the same easy manner as the registration took place.
But what you suggest is not practicable. Beside the fact that most forums contain hidden profile fields which are filled in while registration and/or not alterable thru the user himself, this is a hell of work for every admin cause you have to change the name manual for everyone. Nope, I intend to spent my time more efficieent ;)
If the ability for the user to do #2 is present, does that remove the requirement in #1?

Yes I am still trying to understand. Laws are written in strange ways sometimes.

Self-Deletion of a user-account is definitely required, both in terms of User-Privacy and generating trust among users.
This is even required by law in countries like Germany and Austria (not sure about any other countries).

Users told me, when not being able to delete their own account at a certain website, they suspect the website not being respectful with handling of Privacy and user-data.

I would remove this option upon put on any large scale forum 100% of the time and tell anyone that would lend me their ear to disable it. If a single user contributed 4,000 image attachments or over 1,000 posts I DO NOT want that person to have the ability to remove their content from my forum. Which would be the case in said scenario.

So, have the ability to toggle this on and off if implemented. If 60% of your users delete their account, your site will have less content. Why would you allow that to happen? At least it will die a slow death over the course of a year instead of all your users leaving and taking their content with them.

There are huge Social-Networking websites like Xing.com in Germany.
At said website, when a user decides to delete his account, the User-Profile-Data (avatar, personal data, etc.) gets deleted, but the content still remains at the website.

The requirement for Self-Deletion of a user-account is in regards to user-data and user-privacy. It is not about deleting the content of a certain user who decides to leave the website for whatever personal reasons.

If you are talking about the way ho vBulletin has handled that, your going wrong. The usernames become changed in the quotes as well.

What version of vB are you running? On my vB 3.7, the username in the quotes does not change when a username is changed.

I am really confused. You used a modification on your vb3.x site which allowed people to delete their own accounts, yet they are required by German law to send you an email (presumably) before they use that feature?

Sorry for my feeble memory.

Top Bottom