XF 1.5 Getting Vague Error when Uploading File Attachment

Matthew Hutchinson

I've encountered an inconsistent system issue that's preventing file attachments from being uploaded to message threads but it's not consistent. One of my users reported it this morning. There's nothing in the error log. This is the error message I'm getting on a test thread:

attachment-error.webp

I've run a few tests and discovered something even more peculiar. Keeping in mind 99% of my board's file attachments are JPGs, GIFs, and PNGs, if the system returns an error on one image, it won't accept that image on subsequent attempts. If it doesn't return an error on other images, it will accept those images every time.

I've checked the file size I configured for attachments and it's still showing the 2000 KB limit I set. Additionally, my hosting service still shows my board only using 5 GB of space.

I think I've narrowed part of the problem down to being the image resolution. The system won't take anything larger than 1920 x 1080.

I'm a 3D artist and just used my rendering app to create a test image in three different resolutions:

2560 x 1440
1920 x 1080
1280 x 720

XF1.5 returned the error above on the first took but accepted the third one. My board's been online since 2016 and this has not been an issue until now. Much of my own work is 2K.

Incidentally, I just tried uploading the same image to a test version of my board running XF2.04 and it also only took the smallest of the three versions. At this point, my concern is that the root of the problem may be server-related. Nevertheless, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom