Getting Started with XF (Hosting and more)

Divinum Fiat

Okay all, I'm getting ready to get my license here and I have some questions on which steps to take exactly.

I am currently using Host Gator for my WP Membership site. There won't be much to transfer so my hosting with HG will be basic.

Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track with this hosting package (starting from scratch)?

VPS:
CPU: 0.56 GHZ
RAM: 384 MB
Disk Space: 10 GB
Bandwidth: 250 GB

The second package up is this:

VPS:
CPU: 0.84 GHZ
RAM: 576 MB
Disk Space: 22 GB
Bandwidth: 375 GB

Will the first package be sufficient to get me started?

As far as lay-out (theme?) goes the only forum I have found so far that I like is http://general-forums.com. There is another layout I like a lot, but it's a vB site (sorry), http://www.zenhex.com (although I do not like the colors on either of these).

Does XF install the software on my server and does anyone know how I can get my site to look like the above?

And lastly, I'm planning to buy a forum that fits well with my niche to help get my forum started. Does anyone know a source that sells forums or has anyone used http://www.paidforumposting.com?

Thanks! :)

How many active members/much traffic do you have?
That will determine the hosting required.

There is a service you can order at the time of purchase to install the software.
Importing and styling however is not part of the service.

Styling is relatively easy though using the Style Properties system.
The site you have linked to is using the Social style, available here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/social.7732/

Thanks, Brogan!

I only have about 80 or 90 members right now, using Wishlist and WL Drip.

Thanks for the info, great stuff!

PS XF, I'm loving the way this forum handles, easy posting, easy follow-up, it's great stuff.

Thanks again, Brogan, I'll try posting a question over there. Since I haven't posted the license yet I do not have permissions yet to look at the attachments. :-) Getting ready to get my hosting package then so I can get the license and move on with this amazing project. Thanks so much!

Thank you, hadn't thought of that. Yikes, now I have to watch the numbers (hope it's not as bad as watching the stock market). :)

You most likely will be fine. It's just that a lot of the cheap hosts are only cheap as long as you remain within their offered limits, and will slap you with huge bills if you happen to exceed these limits. It's just something to take into account when you decide on which host to go for, as unexpected bills are never fun.

Okay, apparently level 1 and 2 are NOT managed accounts and do not have a cPanel. I didn't know this (it said "only experienced Linux" should use this account). Level 3 it is then:

VPS Level 3:
CPU: 1.13 GHZ
RAM: 768 MB
Disk Space: 30 GB
Bandwidth: 500 GB

But now it's asking me if I want a cPanel or a Plesk. Help please? I'm looking at the side-by-side comparison but wanted to see if there are any advantages of one over the other.

Another question, saw that in the 'installation' price there is a note that says "This does not include PHP or MySQL installation."

What else do I have to do after I order the license WITH the installation?

Most hosts already have everything up and running.

There's a 'test' script you can upload to see if you have php, etc. (though i think it doesn't check for a valid sql)

If your hosting is LAMP (linux os, apache web server, mysql database, and php programming language) you can 9 out of 10 times run and install xenforo.

okay, guys, I took the plunge - got the license and a level 3 VSP account with Host Gator and somehow I feel like I'm already swimming in hot lava. Who ever talked about the deep end of the pool!? Need serious help getting this puppy potty trained. Urgh. o_O

Well, apparently when I ordered the new server I just sent the login information to have XF transferred over but apparently it asked Mike to first set up the server. That's not part of the 'install' and I don't know what setting up a server means. Let the learning curve begin. :)

I would expect that Gator Host would supply you with everything, to be honest. When I ordered a VPS at my host, I just got login credentials, and everything was set up.

Sorry, I wouldn't know where to start, to be honest.

Well, apparently when I ordered the new server I just sent the login information to have XF transferred over but apparently it asked Mike to first set up the server. That's not part of the 'install' and I don't know what setting up a server means. Let the learning curve begin. :)
The managed Hostgator vps is not set up ready to go?

If that is the case, and they still offer refunds, possibly another hosting provider? Or even use Hostgator shared instead of Hostgator vps?

Considering you only have 80-90 members, I'm surprised you've gone for a VPS and the cost involved with that.

I'm on shared and have 2,000+ members with up to 100 online at a time.

Top Bottom