Getting inundated with spam

I've not yet blocked entire countries... But we do automatically block every IP used in the previous six months by anyone banned (permanently or temporarily). It has a way of automatically blocking proxies. I've got some ideas for stuff I need to build that will do some other things (like the ability to actually ban a computer regardless of IP [without cookies]).

Also plan on building a "sponsorship/mentorship" program where we could block registrations in whatever countries we want. Existing users could generate invite codes to give to people they know in those countries for registration. The caveat is going to be that we will automatically give a certain percent of the warning points an invitee gets will also go to the invitee. Meaning if you invite spammers or other low quality users, you will end up banned because of their actions. So only people who are truly trusted by someone will get an invite.

Manual spammers from India are increasing lately.
I got recently spammed with 1 pixel images. This is not new but is practically impossible to detect the 1 pixel image. It would be great if XenForo will disallow image linking as option, tied with user permissions.

So far... after 2 weeks of implementing the country filter, I have zero spam on my forums.
I don't know about stop forum spam....I just block ips, it's faster.
Does blocking the IP's allows the user to view the forums as Guest? I presume it is... which is good. I would not want guests to be blocked.

Does blocking the IP's allows the user to view the forums as Guest? I presume it is... which is good. I would not want guests to be blocked.

nah I meant from CLI not from xf, my idea is that if they are abusive in any way I don't want them to have access to anything on the server.

It would be great if XenForo will disallow image linking as option, tied with user permissions.

This would be awesome. I want to suggest it as a feature request. Disabling image linking tied with user permission.

In my opinion Xenforo should have the following anti spam protection options out of the box:
1. Link posting permission based on post count, account age and/or reputation
2. Image link posting permission based on above criteria.
3. Signature link permission based on above criteria along with number of links allowed.. (like this http://xenforo.com/community/resources/signature-restriction-advanced-permissions.717/)

I'm interested in the nginx GeoIP Module, thanks for that information.

On my installation, I've noticed sneaky *******s registering with US-based IP's, but visiting with suspect IP's.

I've used a version of this for my nginx installation (IP spamhaus based), the only problem with it is that you can't really tell how well it works, if at all.
http://bash.cyberciti.biz/web-serve...to-block-spamhaus-lasso-drop-spam-ip-address/

I use CloudFlare also, but I've seen a few spammers that CF should block still get by.

I'm interested in the nginx GeoIP Module, thanks for that information.

On my installation, I've noticed sneaky *******s registering with US-based IP's, but visiting with suspect IP's.

I've used a version of this for my nginx installation (IP spamhaus based), the only problem with it is that you can't really tell how well it works, if at all.
http://bash.cyberciti.biz/web-serve...to-block-spamhaus-lasso-drop-spam-ip-address/

I use CloudFlare also, but I've seen a few spammers that CF should block still get by.

Just a quick note that we won't capture all spam (has to be in our data sources). If you block their IP, however, it does feed back into our system to make it smarter.

It's updated daily, or almost daily, but yes, it is IP based.

I was under the impression that the GEOIP was also IP based at it's core, but maybe not.

So without a phone cannot open a gmail account?
Good question. Most Gmail users have to use their phone to activate their account. I tried making another account just a week ago, and google gives me this phone confirmation screen..... :cautious:

These are real human spammers lol ! Yes major spammers lately i have seen are all from india .

I am from India and I am getting spammers from Ukraine, Russia . Its surprising that Every other country is a spammer for another. :D

I am from India and I am getting spammers from Ukraine, Russia . Its surprising that Every other country is a spammer for another. :D

Lot of human spammers from india / they usually post links in signatures never bother to post replies.

I am getting a lot now from Ukraine too. I think I deleted about 6 of them just now and I don't think they are bots.

Top Bottom