Spam is getting ridiculous.

Nothing I do seems to be working, spammers keep getting through, even with that URL trick, it still seems to be going through (URL's that is)

I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I installed Xon's "Signup abuse detection and blocking" add-on some time ago when I was in the same situation as you.
After installing it, I didn't have any spammers on my forum. Okay, maybe once in a while but that is manageable.
Works very well.

Reactions: Xon
My forum is so quiet that even the spammers don't bother with it, bless. However, I see some great suggestions here so will keep this thread handy.

spammers keep getting through
What do you mean by this?

Your spam settings allow spammers to register and be placed into moderation.

Set reject to 1 if you want to block all hits for SFS but be aware you will also get legitimate members who sign up with a user name which is in the SFS database.

They aren't being placed in moderation, they are able to come in and make threads w/o moderation, which is why i'm confused. They used to be put into moderation and i'd be able to come in and deny them, but just recently it seems they're not being placed in moderation, which is why i'm baffled. Here's an example of a spam post:
image_2022-03-20_151220.webp

There was a URL included in the post but i removed it so I didn't accidentally click it.

What is this permission set to for the Registered user group?

1647803771318.png

Or for any groups the spammer is a member of after registering.

are they old members? i have a lot of spammers sign up, never post, and a year later, log in and start spamming.

registration settings are not retroactive.

I've been having the same spam issue for the last couple weeks. The posts are in all Chinese (no links) and I added the string of characters @Brogan posted plus added some more characters but they're still getting through without moderation. It happens every day at appox the same times, 4-5am and 9-10pm and usually 40-60 posts. I just set the registrations to manual approval this morning although I really didn't want to. I guess I've been lucky the last 5 years and never had a problem with spammers on the forum.

I've been having the same spam issue for the last couple weeks. The posts are in all Chinese (no links) and I added the string of characters @Brogan posted plus added some more characters but they're still getting through without moderation. It happens every day at appox the same times, 4-5am and 9-10pm and usually 40-60 posts. I just set the registrations to manual approval this morning although I really didn't want to.
If you use Xon's add-on you can selectively set certain countries to require approval, and allow others in.