Geoblock Registration

Geoblock Registration 1.2.0

No permission to download
Hello @Sim first and foremost thank you for this add-on, it saved us on a BUNCH of shady useraccounts already :D

We maintain/deploy our system via GitHub, earlier today we let DependaBot take a look at the code and it immediately triggered a warning on the dependency of league/flysystem-memory:

1646480638460.webp

We can't merge the fix (XenForo would complain about invalid files), but maybe this is something that you could check? Thanks in advance!

Hello @Sim first and foremost thank you for this add-on, it saved us on a BUNCH of shady useraccounts already :D

We maintain/deploy our system via GitHub, earlier today we let DependaBot take a look at the code and it immediately triggered a warning on the dependency of league/flysystem-memory:

View attachment 265646

We can't merge the fix (XenForo would complain about invalid files), but maybe this is something that you could check? Thanks in advance!

league/flysystem-memory is only a dev requirement and is not used in production.

An update to this add-on would be ideal for sure. It hasn't been updated in 3 years.

The latest version was released just over 18 months ago.

I have been running this in production on 6 sites with no issues.

If you find a bug, please report it and I will update the addon.

At some point I will refresh the composer dependencies.

Can you link me to where to get a license key? I thought I had gotten one but it would appear people are still able to register from banned countries I have listed? A direct link of which key I need specifically would be great, thanks.

Can you link me to where to get a license key? I thought I had gotten one but it would appear people are still able to register from banned countries I have listed? A direct link of which key I need specifically would be great, thanks.

There is only one type of license key issued by MaxMind - if you didn't have one or it is invalid, you would be receiving error messages in your XF error log.

It's more likely your configuration causing issues.

Have you used the Test Geoblock function in the Tools section of the admin area ? That will validate whether you have a valid license key.

Also - can you share your configuration for the addon so I can see if your settings might be causing the issue?

There is only one type of license key issued by MaxMind - if you didn't have one or it is invalid, you would be receiving error messages in your XF error log.

It's more likely your configuration causing issues.

Have you used the Test Geoblock function in the Tools section of the admin area ? That will validate whether you have a valid license key.

Also - can you share your configuration for the addon so I can see if your settings might be causing the issue?
Here ya go:
geoblock_conf.webpimage_2022-03-21_153049.webp

I can't see anything wrong with your configuration.

Are people actually registering from those countries? Or are they using proxy servers to hide their actual location?

What does the spam trigger log say? It won't show allowed users - but is should show users that were blocked.

I also note that you don't have the "Moderate non-listed countries" option checked - which is fine, but note that this means that the "approved country codes" list is largely redundant since anyone registering from a country not on the denied list will be automatically approved. I recommend turning on "Moderate non-listed countries".

How do I get a license key? It appears MaxMind only does a trial subscription before requiring a paid subscription. Is that right?

I was not able to download the database. Got an error. You mentioned enabling the "Phar extension" on the server. I can't find anything about that on my server control panel.

Thanks!

How do I get a license key? It appears MaxMind only does a trial subscription before requiring a paid subscription. Is that right?

I was not able to download the database. Got an error. You mentioned enabling the "Phar extension" on the server. I can't find anything about that on my server control panel.

Thanks!

Never mind... I think I've got it! :cool:

Reactions: Sim
Seem to be having difficulty trying to prevent signups from India.

Have I don't anything wrong?

GEO-SCREEN1.webp

GEO-SCREEN2.webp

GEO-SCREEN3.webp

GEO-SCREEN4.webp

That's just one example, there's been 30+ signups from India.

Any assistance sure would be appreciated.

Seem to be having difficulty trying to prevent signups from India.

Have I don't anything wrong?

View attachment 271411

View attachment 271410

View attachment 271409

View attachment 271408

That's just one example, there's been 30+ signups from India.

Any assistance sure would be appreciated.

Put the IP address into the "IP Address" test on the Test Geoblock page to see where MaxMind thinks the IP address is located - it could be that IP2Location disagrees with MaxMind?

Don't forget that this addon won't prevent users from doing anything once they are already registered - it only operates at the point of registration, so if they already had an account before you set up the addon, they won't be prevented from posting.

Put the IP address into the "IP Address" test on the Test Geoblock page to see where MaxMind thinks the IP address is located - it could be that IP2Location disagrees with MaxMind?

Don't forget that this addon won't prevent users from doing anything once they are already registered - it only operates at the point of registration, so if they already had an account before you set up the addon, they won't be prevented from posting.

Sorry, I thought I included that screenshot;

GEO-SCREEN5.jpg

Understood regarding point of registration, thanks. It was new registrations this morning. I'll double check everything this side to see what happened.

Many thanks for the response.

[Edit] Sorry, can I just double check. Does this add on block registration totally, or put user state to reject?

So this person is from India, and it's worked as he's just emailed in;

1658918842194.png

I can see on his account it's been rejected, but the account is still there;

1658918771223.png

1658919081907.webp

Is this working as it should or should the account not be created at all?

Hope that makes sense, sorry!

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought I included that screenshot;

View attachment 271416

Understood regarding point of registration, thanks. It was new registrations this morning. I'll double check everything this side to see what happened.

Many thanks for the response.

[Edit] Sorry, can I just double check. Does this add on block registration totally, or put user state to reject?

So this person is from India, and it's worked as he's just emailed in;

View attachment 271418

I can see on his account it's been rejected, but the account is still there;

View attachment 271417

View attachment 271419

Is this working as it should or should the account not be created at all?

Hope that makes sense, sorry!

The XenForo v2.x spam checker system puts users into the "Rejected" state rather than blocking them completely - so that is normal operation.

Pardon the dumb question. But, I'm a bit confused with the moderate non-listed countries section.

Initially, I wanted to automatically reject the countries I added the the Denied Country Codes box and the EU. And, I've still been getting moderation requests for countries in the EU, like Germany. But, now I have decided I want to automatically reject all countries outside of the U.S. What is the best way to set that up in GeoBlock? Thanks!

1659013941069.webp

Pardon the dumb question. But, I'm a bit confused with the moderate non-listed countries section.

Initially, I wanted to automatically reject the countries I added the the Denied Country Codes box and the EU. And, I've still been getting moderation requests for countries in the EU, like Germany. But, now I have decided I want to automatically reject all countries outside of the U.S. What is the best way to set that up in GeoBlock? Thanks!

View attachment 271483

I'd have to look into the EU thing - the addon relies on MaxMind flagging an IP address as being inside the EU, so if they aren't flagging them correctly, then it won't work effectively.

It would be useful to know which IP addresses are getting through with the EU rejection setting enabled so I can troubleshoot that - could you send me a PM with some details if you have them?

Unfortunately there is no way to automatically reject countries - they have to be explicitly listed in the denied list.

Unfortunately there is no way to automatically reject countries - they have to be explicitly listed in the denied list.

If you really want to block registrations from every country outside the US (noting that all it takes is for someone to use a proxy or VPN to bypass this!), then simply add county codes to the denied list every time someone registers from outside the US - it will take a bit of effort up front, but over time you'll see fewer and fewer new registrations from other countries.

* A new commercial addon will be available shortly which uses the Maxmind GeoIP Precision Insights web service to provide highly accurate geolocation and IP address information data - including support for detecting VPNs, Hosting providers and other anonymous IP address services.

^ Can I trouble you for an update on this please @Sim ? Is it still in the pipeline?

* A new commercial addon will be available shortly which uses the Maxmind GeoIP Precision Insights web service to provide highly accurate geolocation and IP address information data - including support for detecting VPNs, Hosting providers and other anonymous IP address services.

^ Can I trouble you for an update on this please @Sim ? Is it still in the pipeline?

I still plan to finish this version of the addon - but it's not ready yet and has been put on the backburner while I'm ultra-busy with other aspects of my business. So no update yet and no indication on when it might be ready yet, sorry.

@Sim - thank you for this great addon. Would it be possible to add an option to block existing members as well as guests? In other words, anyone who accesses the site would be geoblocked.

Top Bottom