We've had an incredible influx of spammers recently from Ukraine, China, Russia etc. A lot for Ugg Boots, which I have put into the censor filter.
So we've had no choice but to install a modification for vBulletin which, using a downloadable IP zone identifier from http://www.ipdeny.com/ipblocks/, allows you to create a whitelist of countries. The IP of a new member is then cross referenced, and if in the whitelist, is allowed to proceed normally, but if not, is put into the user moderation queue. It's made a tremendous difference to the amount of spam we've been suffering.
So here is my suggestion for XF.
A feature which cross references the IP address against a white or black list and for denied countries, pops the member into a user moderation queue.
Moderators/admin who are responsible for processing themoderation queue should have an alert to show how many members are waiting.
In the moderation queue, in addition to the options to allow, deny, ignore, I would like to see:
- User Name (with link to admin user profile)
- IP Address (also showing how many other members with the same IP have been banned and link to see those users)
- Duplicate User count (using a cookie to identify whether this computer has been used for other accounts, showing how many have been banned with link to see those users)
- Date & Time joined
- Number of posts (with link to see them)
- Signature (with link to edit it)
- Ban link (to ban them)