XF 1.5 GDPR tags and quotes

dethfire

From what I understand user tags and quote mentions won't be touched. I don't understand the reason for this. Wouldn't that be necessary? Why roll out an incomplete compliance update? That's like getting your brakes replace, but the shop only doing the front and then telling you "good luck" and do the back brakes yourself if you feel you need to for safety.

This kind of thing as been discussed more than once. To quote Slavik, who has spent a lot of time consulting with the ICO:

"...the right to be forgotten is not an absolute right to total erasure of all content you post online."

But you can use the Post Content Find/Replace addon if you really feel the need to get rid of every mention of a user.

@dethfire
It purely depends on the content of the posts. If they do not contain PII there is nothing to do (unless they contain intellectual propery and you do not have terms in place that grant you a perpetual license, but that's another issue).
If they do there IMHO & IANAL is a chance the data subject could sue you for not deleting and win the case.

I'm not sure how tags are relevant to GDPR, but I think usernames, once the user's other data has gone, are irrelevant to GDPR

Here's a scenario

User called Fred has their usename changed to Harry

Someone new registers with the name Fred. They then have their account deleted.

Someone new again registers as Fred.

Who is Fred? Can the previous two Freds ask for the new Fred's stuff to be removed. Is it identitty theft?

We just need a bit of reality here and stop fretting.

So John Smith can tell us there can be no references to any other John Smiths?

What section of the GDPR are you getting this from?

(Sorry John, you can apply to have this post deleted)

erasure. aren't legal names personal data? by registering they give consent, and they can withdraw that consent. I assume a person can make a reasonable case that post x,y,z is in reference them specifically.

Why is that a problem?
If you are located in Europe you might want to give this google search a try:
https://www.google.de/search?q=Boris+Floricic

At the end of the search results, you should see a little notice pointing to https://policies.google.com/faq?hl=en which, at least for me, states the following:
How are you implementing the recent Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) decision on the right to be forgotten?
The recent ruling by the Court of Justice of the European Union has profound consequences for search engines in Europe. The court found that certain users have the right to ask search engines like Google to remove results for queries that include the person's name. To qualify, the results shown would need to be inadequate, irrelevant, no longer relevant, or excessive.
[...]

Top Bottom