GDPR discussion thread

Think i understand this. Sounds like you can ban certain ip addresses that seem to be pests on your site and keep a copy of them if you make other forums.

Think i understand this. Sounds like you can ban certain ip addresses that seem to be pests on your site and keep a copy of them if you make other forums.
The way I've interpreted it (IANAL), I believe you can continue to store IP address for security purposes and public interest (such as preventing fraud, scams, harming others computers with malware, etc.). I'm not sure how that works in regards to you using that across your own network. My guess is that has to be apart of your privacy policy and possibly the TOS when the user signs up.

@Chris D

I know that it is bothering, but I have to reiterate my wish for an unsubscribe link within admin emails of xenforo 1.5x.

2 days before the GDPR takes place, ALL German lawyers write on the internet, that this is mandatory to be in line with GDPR.

Source: https://www.e-recht24.de

Was muss in einem Newsletteranmeldeformular in der Sidebear/Footer mindestens vorhanden sein, damit es rechtskonform ist?
  1. Weiterhin striktes und dokumentiertes Double Opt In
  2. Koppelungsverbot
  3. Datensparsamkeit (nur notwendige Daten abfragen)
  4. Link auf Die Datenschutzerklärung mit weiteren Hinweisen
  5. Hinweis auf Widerspruchsrecht bei der Anmeldung, ggf. inkl. Checkbox/ Einwilligung
  6. Abmeldelink in jeder Mail
  7. Besondere Vorgaben für die Einwilligung bei Inhalten, die sich spezifisch an Kinder und Jugendliche richten. Hier ist dann die Einwilligung der Eltern erforderlich.

@Chris D

I know that it is bothering, but I have to reiterate my wish for an unsubscribe link within admin emails of xenforo 1.5x.

2 days before the GDPR takes place, ALL German lawyers write on the internet, that this is mandatory to be in line with GDPR.

Source: https://www.e-recht24.de
In the next release, due Thursday or Friday, we are introducing the {unsub} token for emails sent from Admin CP > Users > Email Users.

You just add the token and a "Unsubscribe from mailing list" link appears. Like XF2, this link doesn't require logging in to use it.

Hi guys, I have an older version of XenForo (XF 1.4) and my support expired years ago so I don't have access to XF 1.5 in my client area.
The question I want to ask is: Is my forum in violation of GDPR? Is there anything I have to do to be in compliance?

Thanks

@Nomy
That purely depends on your site, even a XF 1.0 theoretically could be as compliant as 1.5.20b, but that requires more work.

Do you have a cookie notice?
Do you have a privacy policy that covers all your data processings?
Do you use Google Analytics and anonymize the IP address?
Do you enforce a minimum age of 16?
Do you use HTTPS?

If the answer to at least one of these questions is No, the odds are high that you are not fully compliant.

In the next release, due Thursday or Friday, we are introducing the {unsub} token for emails sent from Admin CP > Users > Email Users.

You just add the token and a "Unsubscribe from mailing list" link appears. Like XF2, this link doesn't require logging in to use it.

could you please put this token under the textbox of the sitemailing list like the name tag? then it is easier to copy&paste while writing the text in acp...

or did I misunderstand how a token is working?

Re: the FB lawsuit article, I don't get this bit

As a long-time critic of Facebook, Schrems argued that the company is violating a provision of GDPR by forcing users to consent to share their personal data, and that the company has gone as far as blocking accounts of users who have not given consent. “In the end users only had the choice to delete the account or hit the “agree”-button — that’s not a free choice,

Surely it is reasonable for facebook to say if you don't agree withy our privacy Policy, then don't have an account. (Whether or not their PP is reasonable)

It is a free choice, unless you believe having a FB account is necessary to survival.

It is a free choice, unless you believe having a FB account is necessary to survival.

I Agree entirely. House rules are house rules agree to them or don't join.

As an aside, I'm really surprised, the 25th has come and gone and no one died ;) Meanwhile in the UK Elizabeth Denham, the Information Commissioner, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme, what we guessed to be the case all along, that small businesses, let alone hobby sites, which did not make extensive use of customer data would not come under close scrutiny. Instead, the focus would be on big companies - particularly those in the technology sector - that "deliberately, persistently or negligently misuse data", she said.

I Agree entirely. House rules are house rules agree to them or don't join.

As an aside, I'm really surprised, the 25th has come and gone and no one died ;) Meanwhile in the UK Elizabeth Denham, the Information Commissioner, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme, what we guessed to be the case all along, that small businesses, let alone hobby sites, which did not make extensive use of customer data would not come under close scrutiny. Instead, the focus would be on big companies - particularly those in the technology sector - that "deliberately, persistently or negligently misuse data", she said.

The GDPR Absurdity fines always implied that they would be going after top tech companies, then again, I am not sure why GDPR would ever think that a company, even if they were fined would be ok in paying millions or billions of dollars in ridiculous fines, and I do not expect facebook or google will pay either, and Facebook implied that they were not interested in complying with GDPR guidelines and if I were facebook or google, then I would certainly pull any assets I had out of the EU, and take my business else-where, until then, I suspect this GDPR litigation will continue.

Re: the FB lawsuit article, I don't get this bit

Surely it is reasonable for facebook to say if you don't agree withy our privacy Policy, then don't have an account. (Whether or not their PP is reasonable)

According to the person who filed the lawsuit, it is not free choice, in other words, you are forcing users to make a decision which takes away free choice, and this apparently violates some GDPR twisted law to take away rights of business owners; I'm sorry, did you not get the memo? GDPR's goal is to take away business owner rights and give them to visitors, in other words, as a business owner, you no longer have any rights, and I am so surprised that so many tech compaines fell for the GDPR Scam without really knowing what was going to happen; instead, tech giants should be fighting GDPR; I am all for privacy rights, but GDPR is going about this all wrong with ludicrous, mind-blowing fines, and this will not be any way to get giant tech compaines on board, as no company is going to say, here, let us give you a check for that multi billion dollar fine, it is absurd....

GDPR = Anti-Business

I also do not think the US would enforce such GDPR fines.

Last edited:
GDPR is a violation of the US Constitution, so no way the US Government enforces it; however, Facebook needs to be careful about storing money in EU bank accounts.

@Nomy
That purely depends on your site, even a XF 1.0 theoretically could be as compliant as 1.5.20b, but that requires more work.

Do you have a cookie notice?
Do you have a privacy policy that covers all your data processings?
Do you use Google Analytics and anonymize the IP address?
Do you enforce a minimum age of 16?
Do you use HTTPS?

If the answer to at least one of these questions is No, the odds are high that you are not fully compliant.

GDPR says that the age can be lower than 16 if it is for that country. For instance in the US COPPA list the age as 13.

No non-American gives a stuff about the American Constitution, any more than Americans care a rush about the Armenian Constitution, so it would be unreasonable to expect that the EU should take non-EU countries' laws into consideration. However, the Americans will produce something similar, probably under the aegis of increasing internet freedom, sooner or late.

More important is that this faintly ridiculous regulation, although only half as silly as the awful cookie law, seems to give a lot of whiners a chance to injure big corps on spurious grounds. Part of the regulation, inspired by the demented actions that led to Edward Snowden's repulsive revelations, is obviously good and necessary; but part is uncharacteristically for the EU, overblown and with bad consequence.

I applaud any action to smash big corporations, but only fairly and with justification: Facebook was already vile, but no-one makes people sign up, and all users of any site should accept the conditions agreed to, or never sign up. If Facebook or whomever engages in extra-mural spying on users, or facilitates that for associates, then break Facebook for that; not for just doing stuff it must do to run the business.

In 10 years I can't ever remember mass emailing members, unless one counts the welcome emails....

[ Nor do we have ads or use Google Analytics ], but I would reckon that if someone contacts one first, either by signing up or emailing one separately for enquiries or whatever --- and not at any request of one's own --- then any information gained is fair game to keep --- if only for one's own protection.

However, the Americans will produce something similar, probably under the aegis of increasing internet freedom, sooner or late.
As I've mentioned here before, I wouldn't count on this. The US Senate just last year approved of ISP's selling their customer's information without their consent. That doesn't sound like a government that's too concerned about its citizen's privacy rights, despite the Facebook circus at the beginning of the year. And what's funny about that ruling last year is that one of the arguments used for letting ISP's sell user data was basically that Facebook was already getting away with it and it was unfair that the ISP's couldn't too. Time will tell, but with a government that seems intent on letting big business do whatever they want, including fracking and drilling and polluting some of the last pristine places in the country, I'd be surprised if the situation changes any time soon.

Anyway, it's not just Facebook that disgruntled EU citizens are upset with. Google, Instagram, WhatsApp, and others are all coming under fire.

Top Bottom