Lack of interest GDPR ad option for Adsense

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

dking

Now that Google has come out with the solution for personalized vs non personalized ads it would be good to have ads pre loaded in the system that would kick off depending on the options the user chose. If a user was identified as coming from an EU country they would be offered the option of non personalized ads. This would allow sites to maximize advertising where they can and still meet the new regulations as defined. There could be a link or import to Google's partner networks for consent if they chose to use the personalized option...

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Other day I was browsing and some sites including Yahoo! redirected to OATH, owned by Verizon, and owner of Yahoo! and AOL The options there only allow one to proceed if one agrees to personalized ads. See and customise which partners can use your data listed a large number of world partners in 2 lists, and I certainly couldn't decide the effect of the option buttons.

Now I might not object to ads, but I sure as hell don't want personalized anything.

I exited without doing anything. If they are unclear or deceptive, or even if not, I can simply do without their websites.

Scroll down and select 'OK' to proceed, otherwise you will not be able to access our sites and apps.

Same here and also with those adblocker notices that prevent you to enter the site when you don't disable it.. Probably gone lose more money (and traffic) that way, getting whitelisted by adblock plus is even a better option.

I am hoping earnings increase again with non-personalized ads but also looking for other advertising options.

For many of us, advertising pays costs. If non-personalised ads contribute a tiny percentage, then I can see why enforcing consent for personalisation or not supporting that user could be a very reasonable, and financially viable, option.

Switched to non-personalised ads at May 25. Revenue is down 30-40% since then. May get better in the future, but for now it is bad.
Most news sites in Europe switched to "Pay or no access" solutions for cookie refusers.

Same here, even worse, revenue dropped after 25 May down 60-70%, only european users, switched to non personalised ads.

the strange thing is that even contextual ads are shown rarely and this is the real problem i think, at least in my case.

I hope that after this "gdprpocalypse" moment, that has affected and destabilized investors too, the situation will return to a normal state.

For many of us, advertising pays costs. If non-personalised ads contribute a tiny percentage, then I can see why enforcing consent for personalisation or not supporting that user could be a very reasonable, and financially viable, option.

This is exactly my point, most people don't have a problem with cookies, tracking, or anything that is being questioned in GDPR if they have an option and they get to choose which sites. I don't charge for access to my site and we are 100% funded from advertising, the members know this and would gladly accept the conditions if they knew that the revenue would help keep the site online.

Cap

I found a temporary solution for this that is easy to implement.

Block personalized ads by adding this before every adsense code (before window.adsbygoogle.push(), but i think you can call this once at the top of every page where you show adsense:
Code:
<script> (adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle||[]).requestNonPersonalizedAds=1;</script>

Make or copy a style that you want to use for serving personalized ads and name it 'enable personalized ads' or 'opt in' for axample. Do not add code above.

Add a notice with explanation between non- and personalized ads and link to more info-> link your style to personalized option (url when not logged in). Place a link (to info page) in footer or navigation with more information and were you can change (again) between the options/switch between styles.

On the more info page you can use the information in the link what to add.
https://support.google.com/dfp_premium/answer/9005435?hl=en&ref_topic=9007190

For the notice you can use xenforo buttons (example floating notice), clicking opt-out dismisses the notice and opt-in will direct to personalized ads style. You can also set this to only show on standard style ands guests for example:
Code:
<p>Select if you want to see/show personalized (Opt-in) of non-personalized (Opt-out) ads.</p>

<p><center>
<a href="http://yoursite.com/misc/style?style_id=..." class="button" rel="nofollow">Opt-in</a>
&nbsp;
<a href="http:/yoursite.com/misc/style?style_id=..." class="button CustomDismissCtrl" rel="nofollow">Opt-out</a>
</center></p>

<p style="text-align:right"><a href="https://yoursite.com/pages/adchoises">More info</a></p>

This way your standard forum style will automatically show non-personalized ads to everyone and gives the option to switch to personalized without pauzing the ads before consent. It also can be easy logged who switched to the opt in/consent style.

Last edited:
Hi @dutchbb, have you noticed any improvements in your earnings after you have implemented this solution?

How do you log the opt-in/out data switching from a style to another?

Earnings are still down for me even trying to optimize and experimenting new positions and solutions :cautious:

A little bit higher, but not so much. For members i can see who is using the opt-in style (nobody at the moment) but not for guests.. But this is set in xf cookie that they have chosen the opt-in style and everything else is in order so hopefully it is enough at the moment.

Selection of the style could be logged but i am waiting to see futher developments from adsense or xf.

Top Bottom