XF 1.5 FYI about 2 step verification

vbuser

Google Authenticator accounts only exist on your phone. There is no back up. I reset my phone and lost access to all sites using Google Authenticator. I'm using Authy now which can sync with multiple mobile devices. Authy also backs up your accounts.

Also, "Regenerate secret for a new device" will delete your previous backup codes.

Google Authenticator accounts only exist on your phone. There is no back up. I reset my phone and lost access to all sites using Google Authenticator. I'm using Authy now which can sync with multiple mobile devices. Authy also backs up your accounts.

Also, "Regenerate secret for a new device" will delete your previous backup codes.

Good to know!
I know the problem with Google Authenticator (You can't backup the app unless your phone is rooted) That's a problem.
But I understand they do it for security reasons.
I also had to switch phone and I was not able to transfer Google Authenticator.

Sync with multiple mobile devices and backup is cool. I'm going to switch completely to Authy then.
I have almost 50 accounts in Google Authenticator so it's going to take some time to switch! Or does anyone know I can transfer them to Authy?

I understand that Authy (can) be less secure because the sync with multiple mobile devices and the backup. But in this case it's going to be more user friendly and I'm going to save a lot of time when my phone breaks again. :cool:

Top Bottom